Sennheiser MK50 vs Sennheiser MKH8050

Plunkett Sound

Hello all

I'm considering buying a nice, open sounding cardioid mic for interiors and I've been leaning towards the Sennheiser MKH50. I've used the 50 a good few times and I really like the sound. It's a quiet mic and I find it great for giving presence to voices in reverbant environments. And lots of sound recordists swear by it.

However, I was wondering if anyone has tried the MKH8050 and how they find it compares to the 50? Most people I've talked to say it has a similar sound to the 50 but some have said that it's more prone to handling noise.

So what are people's experiences? All insights and opinions are welcome.

Hello all

I'm considering buying a nice, open sounding cardioid mic for interiors and I've been leaning towards the Sennheiser MKH50. I've used the 50 a good few times and I really like the sound. It's a quiet mic and I find it great for giving presence to voices in reverbant environments. And lots of sound recordists swear by it.

However, I was wondering if anyone has tried the MKH8050 and how they find it compares to the 50? Most people I've talked to say it has a similar sound to the 50 but some have said that it's more prone to handling noise.

So what are people's experiences? All insights and opinions are welcome.

MKH 50's are well documented for excessive handling noise. I own two and I've spent a small fortune trying to combat the handling.

I use them both indoors and outdoors.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I think perhaps Malcolm means the 8050, more so than the 50 in terms of handling noise.

I use my 50s indoors and out. Love them. Don't have much issue with handling noise.

There are several threads about these two mics in comparison. Google search using "JWSound" then whatever you're looking for.

MKH50.

When the 8050 came out, I auditioned it. 

But I didn't personally care for the 8050, and all that was involved -

compared to my MKH50, for my particular work-style.

low pass goat filter?

love the perfect ergonomic booming style to maximize productivity by minimizing operator fatigue and discomfort :)

I think perhaps Malcolm means the 8050, more so than the 50 in terms of handling noise.

I use my 50s indoors and out. Love them. Don't have much issue with handling noise.

There are several threads about these two mics in comparison. Google search using "JWSound" then whatever you're looking for.

No Robert I meant the 50.

Rycote Lyres have not cured the problem but I've got one of their Tacit cables which has helped enopmously.

Hi Malcolm

When I first got my 50s I had a bit of a problem with them which initially I thought was a handling noise problem.It sounded almost like they had a loose capsule but when I plugged them into my SQN or directly into my recorder the problem disappeared .It turned out that the 48V line on my Audio Dev AD146 was not producing enough current which caused them to sound great until you tried to swing them.A quick visit to David Lane problem solved.

Best John

No Robert I meant the 50.

Rycote Lyres have not cured the problem but I've got one of their Tacit cables which has helped enopmously.

Sorry, Malcolm. Didn't mean to speak on your behalf. I haven't encountered much trouble with them as a boom op or a mixer, so I assumed incorrectly. I am glad you have it sorted, because I love the way they sound, and I know how frustrating it is when technical things get in the way.

Just didn't like the low end on the 8050. - Eric

- Maybe it's better for studio applications. But in studio you can choose better microphones than MKH8050. Or you talking for different thing Eric? Maybe for the "colorization" at these frequencies than MKH50?

Just didn't like the low end on the 8050. - Eric

- Maybe it's better for studio applications. But in studio you can choose better microphones than MKH8050. Or you talking for different thing Eric? Maybe for the "colorization" at these frequencies than MKH50?

I think the 8050 has a bit more bottom than a 50 so it sounds a bit too bottom heavy for me even with it's HP filter turned on. To be fair I have HP filter on my 50's turned on also and the low end sounds tighter. OTOH there's really nothing below 80hz that we need for dialog.

Eric

I had a very frustrating experience with the MKh40 too, it was impossible for me to use it because the handling noise. It's a real shame, because it's perfect for my work, it is rugged, has a great pattern, nice round edges and quiet. We don't talk to each other anymore.

I use the Schoeps lc60 with MKH8040 and MKH8050.No more handling noise!Try one of these or the Tacit cables with your MKH40,Im sure it will help..its Valentines Day, you two should make up!-:)

http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/lc

I had a very frustrating experience with the MKh40 too, it was impossible for me to use it because the handling noise. It's a real shame, because it's perfect for my work, it is rugged, has a great pattern, nice round edges and quiet. We don't talk to each other anymore.

Can't you use roll off at the mixer/recorder too? 

Sawrab

I was surprised by the excessive handling noise of the MKH 50 when I first got it. Slight touches on the boom pole would send LF levels into the red!   I learned quickly how to best set up the stock suspension for best effect (a lot of the handling noise was cable borne)  I also learned to keep the mic's low cut on all the time and often double up with the mixer's low cut as well, especially if it's a female voice and there's some swinging to do...

And then the real game changer,  the cinela mount.  Much better for handling than anything else I have tried for the 50.  And whats even more fun is that the MHK mount for the 50 fits my Schoeps quite nicely as well!  It's nice that the manufacturers of mounts have started inventing stuff that fits the usual mic suspects AND that weird-ass square shape that makes the MKH 30,40,50,60, and 70 so unique.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin