Sennheiser MK50 vs Sennheiser MKH8050

Plunkett Sound

Before filling divorce, my usual set up with the MKh 40 was, the Mic low cut engaged, mixer Low Cut engaged, grey lyre mount, Softie, and K-tek cabled boom pole, and a dedicated phantom power for it. I use Neumann Km184, and 185 too, I don't need to use most that stuff with the Neumann mics, just engaged Low Cut on Mixer and enjoy the ride, but sometimes I would love to use the extra punch of the Mkh 40, these days the only thing I can use it for is sitdown interviews.  

I haven't tried Cinela mount and I haven't tried the Tac!T Cable either, maybe I should. I'm curious about something. Why the Tac!t should make such a difference, if I'm already cutting out most of the offending LF, using the Low Cut in the mic and in the mixer?

Can't you use roll off at the mixer/recorder too? 

Sawrab

Before filling divorce, my usual set up with the MKh 40 was, the Mic low cut engaged, mixer Low Cut engaged, grey lyre mount, Softie, and K-tek cabled boom pole, and a dedicated phantom power for it.

When you say grey lyre, are you referring to the soft part being grey, or the harder clip? Maybe you are already well aware of this, but if it's the soft part then those are the more rigid type made for heavier and longer mics, and the softer black ones are the ones recommended for lighter mics like the mkh 40.

It might be worthwhile to visit a place that sells/rents different mounts and do some experimenting.

Thanks Jesper, I've done different experiments with different mounts, besides Cinela, and nothing has really  worked . I used black lyres, K-tek mount with soft rubber, with hard rubber, classic Rycote mount, with different elastic rubber, and the results have changed, but no to a point where I can really hold the boompole with one hand while adjusting levels on the mixer with the one.

I got to a point where I was able to pan the boom around a room without major issues, but I couldn't spin it, no even a tiny bit. I work just in documentaries, so i have no script or rehearsals. Being able to spin the boom to get other person sound is vital, I can do it with every other mic I own, Sanken and Neumann, but no with this one.