Hot transmitters.

Colin Heath

It's not wise for transmitters to touch skin anyway. Sweat can seep through seems. On my SMs, I use the originally provided neoprene sleeves without the plastic bit as a layer of protection. It fits over the transmitter and still allows for use of either wire or metal clip.

I also still have some of the old fabric pockets from the elastic strap days. They're good for tucking in a sock or boot.

Robert

What Larry and Whit said! The Lectro heat pads are good in some situations the mole foam good in others.  Also a cut down neo-pak or a child's sock(the cheap option) work great!  I like a a child's black sock cut down so it just barely covers entire SM and then I use a safety pin to hold it closed and attach it to the actors wardrobe some how.

Keep in mind that if the entire unit is covered, it will get just hotter until the same amount of heat is still leaking to the surroundings, i.e., reaches a new equilibrium. Insulate the side to the talent and leave the rest of it open for coolest operation and least heat leakage to the talent. That is, direct the heat flow. It really ain't that much.

Best,
Larry F
Lectro

Last year on a French reality, we decided to switch from Sennheiser 5212 to Lectro.
After 2 months, the producer asked the sound guys (we are nearly 10 to work alternatively on this show) their advices, because some talents were complaining about transmitter heat.
Only two of us wanted to stay with Lectro (me and a friend). The transmitter are a little hot, but I find it reasonable. But the Lectro compandeur is really better, and as it is a food's show the forks and the plates sound are really better with the Lectro !
We switched to 5212N with their great bandwidth. Better for the bandwidth, worse for the sound.