SD552 return from XDCAM

Doug Martin

Hi all,

Firstly, I have searched the forums. Secondly, thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

My issue is this: whilst recording to an XDCAM 800 with my 552 I'm getting a weird rhythmic clicking coming back on the return. Quite quiet but there none the less.

Here's what iv tried:

It's not there when listening direct from the camera.

It stops when my inputs are removed from the camera.

Most importantly it's not being recorded to tape.

Iv swapped the tails.

Unplugged everything from the 552

Switched to battery power & unplugged hirose from 552.

Tried a different umbilical

Tried a different camera (same thing)

Tried the return b input on the 552

All to no avail. I'm thinking that, because the clicking stops when I unplug the inputs from the camera it could be some sort of ground loop issue in my mixer?

Anyone else experienced this or know about it? Your wisdom and help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you monitoring return from the earphone jack, or the five pin line out?  I use the latter all the time and have not experienced what you have.  MIght be something to check, but as VR said, and your work points out, it does not sound as if it is going to disc, so it is more troubling to you than anything!!!!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm using the 3.5mm jack. I replaced one of my jack ends with a five pin but as the jack wasn't balanced and therefore didn't provide enough cables for me to balance the 5 pin, the output is super noisy and really spews out the camera working. So the jack is the lesser of two evils. Great to know its not just my mixer.

As a sneaky side question- anyone know if the SD breakout/return input accommodates balanced returns (for a 5 pin)?

It'd be great to jam sync TC but production don't want it. Backup recordings as always.

You guys rock. Thanks so much.

X's cam returns are inherently noisy. Both five pin and headphones.

My recollection, wihich may or may not be correct, is that the muitipin connector on SD gear is unbalanced because there are not enough pins for a balanced 2 channel return. So it's unlikely any different manufacturer would be able to have a balanced return on the snake.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

Instead of turning camera audio gain full up, put it up only a touch, now pull the 552 rtn gain way up to hear that feed, you should hear a click like a metronome...at regular levels its usually below an audible noise floor but its still there, I just run audio level at full and pull back on 552 and try to ignore it

X's cam returns are inherently noisy. Both five pin and headphones.

My recollection, wihich may or may not be correct, is that the muitipin connector on SD gear is unbalanced because there are not enough pins for a balanced 2 channel return. So it's unlikely any different manufacturer would be able to have a balanced return on the snake.

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

actually there are two unused pins on the 10 pin connector, SD just chose not to make a balanced return.

also I seem to remember that SQN made (still makes?) a mixer that has balanced returns. it's been a while so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

brian