Sound Has Speed?

audio911

It's not 3 3/4ips or 7 1/2 ips anymore. So, when we say "Sound has speed!", what is the speed?

Is it based on the recorder, the CF card, the hard drive, MBs per second divided by track count, bit depth, and sample rate?

We can't say "Rolling!" anymore either....Ugh!

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sound Speed" still fits, ...because:

1. "Up to SPEED" is a figure of speech, meaning one is abreast of things.

2. If a Compact Flash card is registering the bits properly, then it's handling the SPEED of the data flow.

3. Tradition helps preserve ethnic groups and entire societies, so why not a sound department?

It's not 3 3/4ips or 7 1/2 ips anymore. So, when we say "Sound has speed!", what is the speed?

Is it based on the recorder, the CF card, the hard drive, MBs per second divided by track count, bit depth, and sample rate?

We can't say "Rolling!" anymore either....Ugh!

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

It's just a thing that's said. It doesn't make sense anymore. Some of us do say rolling. That doesn't make sense either. It's easier to say "speeding" than "recording". Unless you have a better word? 

Sawrab

Approximately 1000 ft/sec in air, varying with temperature and pressure.

But more to the point, it's as others have pointed out: this is the nomenclature, and when people say or hear it, nobody has to guess what it means.

Half the "pre-dubs" made in post these days aren't dubs at all, but automation-writing passes...  in fact, what's the "print master" if you're making DCP and nothing gets printed?

AD's still say "roll camera" a lot (or "turn over" depending on where you're working) and these are all terms that I think we can still use. I do give these sorts of things a lot of thought since language and its use is one of my academic passions, but for some reason these legacy terms that have lost their original reference don't seem to bother me. I do like hearing the justification for "speed" as it relates to the figure of speech, up to speed and all that.

My Sound Devices 744T recorder offers "confidence monitoring."

It is a feature that I use, to a great extent, for obvious reasons - when I am using this particular recorder.

(A menu feature that could have possibly taken advantage of? just asking)

My Sound Devices 788T recorder (version 2.19) does not ... ( ???)

(I am non-plussed.) (Possible future firmware update?)

My Sound Devices 552 does not ... ( ???)

(Again, non-plussed - but, I'm aware that it may be a hardware limitation?)

My old Fostex PD4 DAT recorder did.

Also, back in the 'Betacam' days, I saved many a cameraman's reputation ...

by sometimes listening to 'confidence' off their (video camera) recorder's heads.

(IIRC??? - bvv1 - no? bvv5 - yes;  And then ... the bvw25 ? ... bvw35 yes? ... bvw 50 yes?)

People have often asked me - "Why do you always wear those funny looking headphones?" (√ my avatar.)

Obviously, I like to listen in isolation.

It is so I can select my headphone 'source' - without necessarily disturbing anyone else.

Primarily from learning to check 'confidence, off the heads,' when available.

Being an O-T-S guy - If I am in a situation, that is highly dynamic (from a safety perspective) - Then, of course ...

I might opt for wearing my other, non-isolating cans.

So, I started wearing my Remote Audio ISO headsets when I first became aware that they were available.

( http://www.trewaudio.com/remoteaudio/hn7506/ - scroll to the bottom photo.)

If I am checking confidence, there is an obvious delay.

And, it is this delay that would be disconcerting to anyone who might be able to hear it -

From possible bleed-through from a non-isolating type of heaphone.  (ymmv)

But, even more importantly, for me - the potential of what would sound like an 'echo' -

If the sound of the delay were possibly being picked up on any of my mics -

In some of the tight-spaced interior work, I sometimes find myself in?

On my Sound Devices 744T - I have selected my heaphone 'favorite mode' as "monitor A,B." (i.e. 'confidence.')

attachicon.gif744T Headphone select Menu - page 24.jpg

attachicon.gif744T Headphone select Menu.jpg

When recording on my Sound Devices 744T:

I typically use my CF card for transfer of audio files, @ EOD or, any film 'breaks,' or nowadays ... 'DIT download opportunities.'

So...

during the course of the recording day - I am always keenly interested in how things are going - re: CF card-wise.

I first select to 'source' the CF card (as the HDD is the default 'source' position) - - by using the HDD key, on the front panel.

(item #19, page 6 744T manual, v2.67.)

Then, I can select to 'confidence' monitor any particular track - using the functions of the headphone rotary switch.

(i.e. any, and/or all of the options to 'confidence' monitor tracks "A,A" through "D,D" - individually.)

Menu item #70 - "Modes"

Again, it is a feature that I happen to use, to a great extent - when I am using this particular recorder.

I look forward to it's possible availability, as a feature on my Sound Devices 788T?

I use confidence mode on the 744Ts every day--I really like knowing that what I think I'm "writing" has indeed been "written".  SD really should allow this on the 788--an oversight I say.

philp

"Speed" continues to be the perfect word for the sound department. First used in the beginning of our profession as a literal description, it reminds us of the history of our craft every time we use it. "Speed" quickly became known as the term that let all concerned know sound was being recorded, and all was well and ready to proceed. It still does. It is fast to say (one syllable) and easy to shout loudly (SPEED!). Though there is no longer anything literal about the term it is even more meaningful in that it is directly connected to the very roots of what we do. It is an old word with an pertinent history, while still being the most useful word for why we say it, which is why we should protect it like the jewel it is by continuing to use it every time we want someone to know that sound has "SPEED!".

"On a bell please (ring ring ring)"... "And...RRRRROLL SOUND!"... "A-Mark! (smack)"... "No...(indignant boom op)...please wait for speed"... "SPEED!"... "Second stix, A-camera (smack)"... "B-Mark (smack)"... "Set"... "And...ACTION!"

Embrace our word.

gt