gooseneck mic

Kajian

hi all.

I am looking to invest in a best Hi end quality gooseneck mic, to be use for presentation. Mostly the presenter will be sitting down. Currently i am using a heil pr35. What mic can i buy to get better sound quality to the pr35. I prefer gooseneck to make a clean setup vs mike stands and boom.

One of the things I do NOT like about the goose-neck type mics, is when inexperienced (and some experienced) speakers are to close, (eats the mic) plosives can be a MAJOR problem,  often bottoming out the mics diaphragm,  and for the most part is difficult or impossible for post  to repair.  If one has control over the situation though, it should not be an issue.

I was working a bit with one of these last week:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/microflex/mx412-mx418-gooseneck-microphones

The MX418 gives you a number of ways to configure the operation of the mute button via DIP switch settings.

I have 10 of MX412's that I use for live event panel discussions, usually in conjunction with a Dugan automixer. There are better sounding podium mics (although these are not bad) but I feel the mx412 is a good comprise between fuctionality, audio quality, and price. Some of the Audio Technical podium mics Ive used we're more sensitive with "plosives" and the gooseneck did not bend as well as the MX. However, as someone else pointed out, they ALL seem to have issues to some extent with plosives. Therefore I would suggest you also get the optional larger foam windscreen. It makes a difference. It's even better if you pull it back about a 1/2" so that there is an air pocket inside between the windscreen and the mic element. Do not buy the optional "wire mesh" windscreen. I've tried it. It's no better than the small included foam windscreen.

Tom

Hi Kaijan, We have a few different types and soundwise I'm very happy with the earthworks flexmic series. They sound very natural and have an amazingly even off-axis response. Tried before the buy the hyper and the cardiod, went for the latter. They have a metallgrill with foam but can be good to use with extra windprotection. Some good advise on windshielding above,+1. Another nice one is the EV polarchoice, it is built with two capsules and you can tweek it to everything from very hyper to omni. And it is fairly slim. Good for critical applications where you can have two side-by side with different patterns, if and when someone talks away from the podium. The downside is that it is fairly hissy, you feel it especially when low level speakers with microphoebia are speaking. For the PA the hiss is no prob. Both mics have a good rejection of handling noise and noise that comes along with the body, like vibrations from the laptop hd or the slam of the chairmans hammer. And people always fiddle with the mics before or while speaking, some mics are very noisy. A good and heavy podium stand is alo a good investment. Be careful if you use switches on the stand, it can be embarrasing when the talent accidentally switches it off in nervousity before the speech. Micke