something like a Pelican for iPads?

johnpaul215

I know some of you use them on your cart, so maybe you found something. I'm looking for something like a Pelican case for a full sized iPad when I throw it in (soft) luggage for travel. I don't mean an Otterbox, because I want to protect the screen. I have the Apple magic cover thing and a rubber/silicon-like bottom cover. Despite Pelican's site saying their case works with those, all the reviews say otherwise. Sound like I could buy a Pelican and immediately cut up the innards, but if there is a better option, I would love to hear. 

When I fly I *usually* take it with me on the plane, but often we pile luggage and equipment in the back of a cargo van, and that's where I definitely see potential disaster. 

yeah, but every user review of either Pelican case says they do NOT work with the smart cover.

People said the 1065 so tight that there are visible gaps in the edge, so not waterproof, and which sounds like a lot of pressure on the iPad. 

The 1075 or i1075 is a netbook, or MacBook Air, laptop case, with space for power supplies, bluetooth keyboard etc. It's thick enough that they make inserts for the 1075 for pistols. I'll try a 1075 and hopefully it's not too big, and I can use the protective coverings. 

The top negative review on Amazon of the 1065 says:

"I, unfortunately, had to return this case the day it came in the mail. The product description states that it works with or without the Apple Smartcover on the iPad. I tried to put my iPad in the case with the cover on... With some force I was able to get it to close. The sides of the case were bulging open." 

I bought the pelican for the ipad mini, but returned it. It was slightly too big and the pad was moving around inside it. They are made to "fit most tablets" and mot really specific to the ipad. I really wanted it to work, as I own several other Pelican products and think they are generally great. One would think that with the amount f iPads sold, Pelican could make one specific for it.

My current solution is the Apple made magnetic screen cover and a padded zipper sleeve. The whole thing goes into the padded laptop compartment of my backpack and I'm feeling that its protected enough.

I guess this is why I've worked on shows that kept the original boxes, and take off the covers when they pack them at the end of the shoot. The boxes get destroyed, but why buy a poorly designed case. There really isn't a well engineered option. I ordered both Pelicans and will keep the better option of the two. I couldn't find of of those Pelican-like options that nailed it either. I have a soft Timbuk2 sleeve, but I would not trust that to the cargo hold of an airplane in my soft luggage.