Just need someone to hold that thing-a-majig.

Richard Ragon

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cwg/3628096037.html

"we need two cameraman (no exp needed, just hold camera to film, or help hold sound gaffer which is a long stick thing with mic on it)"

Yeah.. It's just like taking in the groceries from the car!  :)

Which begs another question.. Why are producers getting dumber and dumber?

-Richard

Are you looking for experience working on a set? Do you want
to learn about how production sound is recorded and gain hands on time working
with professional sound equipment? If the answer is yes, then please read on.
We are a group of four gearing up to do webisodes, sketch comedy bits, and film
shorts for Youtube. I am a graduate of USC and have worked on shows such as
Californication, Burn Notice, and Sons of Anarchy. You can look up my credits
at
imdb.com under Ralph Wong. We are serious about making quality material with the intention of eventually
creating a profitable Youtube channel.

Candidates should want to learn about and do sound for film. Because we are
just starting off, this is a volunteer position only (Sorry, no pay for now).
However, we have a professional sound package, and I can train candidates on
how to use the equipment. The best way to learn film making is to actually go
out and work on some.

If interested, please email Ralph Wong at:

oneagainstdumb@gmail.com

++ a different posting

Edited by studiomprd

I agree with RVD.

CL is not a place professionals should be looking for work. No point in bashing people on CL for asking for too much for too little. That's what CL is. Everyone has to start somewhere. If you're beyond CL work, then stop browsing CL for work. If you're not beyond CL work, then enjoy it for what it is, a training ground.

I've said it before, searching for professional sound gigs on Craig's List is like looking for a virgin in a whore house -- it's possible, but rather unlikely.

Also, it appears that the ad the O.P. referenced may not have been from a primarily English-speaking person.  However, I can assure you his or her English is better than my Mandarin, Farsi, Spanish, French, German, Turkish, etc., etc.

+1 what Rich said. 

Why is it such an ego boost to look down on other people?  We're all just doing the best we can.  If someone lies and cheats, then, yes, they deserve for those actions to be criticized.  But, if a person is just trying to make their way like the rest of us, they may be on a different path of the journey.

A point was made to me a while back, and I think it is a valuable tool to help one put things into perspective:

What percentage of all knowledge do you possess?  Consider the amount of knowledge in the world, and the depth of that in any given area.  For one tiny example, look at the number of different languages there are and then the thousands of dialects within many of those languages and it's humbling.  Then there are the mysteries that are yet unknown.  How deep do those go?  Well, obviously, we don't know.

I venture to say that none of us possesses more than a tiny fraction of one-percent of the knowledge of the universe.

Ponder that awhile, then decide if you want to claim how much better you are than the next person.

I think you guys missed my point. 

My point wasn't to point out crap jobs, or where people start (or are at) in this business.  My point was to bring to light, why does this business attract so many (for lack of a better word) idiots?  I'm not bashing anyone's level of experience, I was simply asking why do clueless delusional people seam to be attacked to the biz?

Lets say I was going to embark on a new career as a manager of 'X' company.  And, I had no idea what 'X' manufactured, or how it's run or even where the company is located even.  How far would you get on an interview, if you don't even know what the purpose of brand 'X' does?   We live in the information age, in which Google is the center of our information world!!  To not even know the names of things, or positions or what people do on set,  is just DAM inexcusable!!

I have some of my own opinions here and I find this a simple fascinating phenomenon..

-Richard

I think you guys missed my point. 

My point wasn't to point out crap jobs, or where people start (or are at) in this business.  My point was to bring to light, why does this business attract so many (for lack of a better word) idiots?  I'm not bashing anyone's level of experience, I was simply asking why do clueless delusional people seam to be attacked to the biz?

Lets say I was going to embark on a new career as a manager of 'X' company.  And, I had no idea what 'X' manufactured, or how it's run or even where the company is located even.  How far would you get on an interview, if you don't even know what the purpose of brand 'X' does?   We live in the information age, in which Google is the center of our information world!!  To not even know the names of things, or positions or what people do on set,  is just DAM inexcusable!!

I have some of my own opinions here and I find this a simple fascinating phenomenon..

-Richard

Richard, I think it's the same all over. Before I took off on this craft ( yes it is a craft) I worked for the largest communications company in America. I had 32 years of experience In the workings of the system, how the outside plant was installed, maintained and repaired.

I did not read this in a book, it took years of WORKING , and learning especially from seasoned craftsman. When I retired our group of techicians of about 10 people had over 300 years of experience if you added our years of service.

We used to have foreman that came from the ranks, knew the job. Then the company got rid of them, bought in college educated people that knew nothing about our work , the idea was you don't have to know the job, just know how to manage people. Huge mistake,moral went down, all they wanted was numbers . Reason, good numbers equals rate increases oked by the commerce commission and that equals profits for the stock holders.

Since I don't have the years of experience in this business or ever been a producer I cannot really judge all the people in this business . What I do know is common sense, problem solving , and respect of others. When on set I see the lack of all this. There are times when I try to interject to solve a problem or draw attention to an unseen problem. Professionals will listen say thank you and take action. The rookies will either ignore you , listen and blow you off and move on.

I have no issues with the younger generation. I have a belief if you want to get better at something work with people who know more and are better than something than you are and it will rub off on you. I think these idiots as you call them come in with the feeling they know everything. I don't let it bother me anymore. I say my peice and move on. I had a director once , I asked to hold for about 30 seconds. I was hearing the talents heart beat in very quite scene. The director wouldn't give me the courtesy of asking for what. Just yelled " we have to move on we're running late, let's go." Then after they cut, she is blocking the scene and the camera crew is joking around telling stories and such. I just shut up , thinking they have time to shoot the bull but cannot give me 30 seconds.

Then the next week I am on a job 2 fellows do their scene , we cut and "........... Total silence on set . I am blown away. One fellows then asks me " how was I ,all good? I tell him he did slightly step on a line , he says thank you I will correct that.

Here is totally professional talent, realizing how it works

Try to hang with better people. Trouble is you don't always know to you arrive on set

Cheers

Later

Tom

I take your point, Richard: there are increasing numbers of people working who don't have a clue.

I was once one of those people. Thankfully, most of the folks with whom I interacted early on did not opt to point at me and laugh, but rather whisper the answer in my ear.

Also get the temptation to shout, "Look! A dumb newbie!" but resist. "Better part of valor," and all that.

Some sets seem to delight in a "blood in the water" atmosphere wherein those with less experience or common sense are held up to ridicule.

Screw that.

So, do professional painters sit in front of their canvases and make fun of all the amateur artists in the world?

Do headline acts constantly belittle all the garage bands hammering away at tunes, most of which will never make it out from under the carport?

Or is our profession particularly suited to smugness.

If the amateur artists insist that he doesn't need art school, then proceeds to tell those professionals that they are doing it wrong, and then complains that his fingers will get paint on them, so he goes out and makes a xerox copy of someone elses art.. Then sells them at 1/8 the cost, causing you to loose sales, I would say, YES, it's time to complain about that..

-Richard

I take your point, Richard: there are increasing numbers of people working who don't have a clue.

I was once one of those people. Thankfully, most of the folks with whom I interacted early on did not opt to point at me and laugh, but rather whisper the answer in my ear.

Jan, I too also take your points...

Back years ago, the only people making films were legitimate companies.  When you got a 'learning' position, you are actually gaining knowledge from people that have real experience..

The democratization of films means that any idiot with no training can call themselves a filmmaker.  I feel so incredibly sad for any new sound mixer (or other crew member) that takes so called learning positions.  The only thing they will learn is that they are NOT on a real film set, and most of the people have less knowledge then they do, while being required to pay for being there..

I too straddle that area of newbies... But, I bite my tongue because I'm being paid well (mostly).

-Richard

If the amateur artists insist that he doesn't need art school, then proceeds to tell those professionals that they are doing it wrong, and then complains that his fingers will get paint on them, so he goes out and makes a xerox copy of someone elses art.. Then sells them at 1/8 the cost, causing you to loose sales, I would say, YES, it's time to complain about that..

No offense meant, Richard, but this is what you get when you look for jobs on Craig's List.