Society, Politics & the Planet

David Waelder

[Jeff Wexler]

I suppose I could just shut the whole topic down and maybe the next time
any of the participants post in the Society, Politics and the Planet
section, people will be more reasonable. I'm open to suggestion.

Like many others, I was horrified by the shooting in Newton, Connecticut. I had some thoughts on firearms regulation and the 2nd Amendment that I intended to share but was dismayed when the topic quickly became toxic. (And I wisely refrained from contributing.)

The same virulently partisan posturing is evident in some of the other topics, like the arguments about Dr. Benjamin Carson's proposals that drew your comment, above.

With strongly held opinions, I don't think there is any formula that can keep things on an even keel all the time or enforce civility toward all contributors. Sometimes righteous outrage will overwhelm even the best of us.

However, I do have a suggestion that might temper some of the inflammatory activity. I suggest that no contributor be permitted to post more than one message per day to any topic in the Society, Politics & the Planet thread. This would slow down some of the rapid-fire back-and-forth commentary that tends to so quickly become inflamed without restricting anyone's right to speak to the issue. It would also encourage (but not require) thinking before speaking.

Discussion and debate work best, I think, when each statement can stand and be appreciated awhile before adversaries pile on. This applies both to statements I vigorously support and those I vigorously oppose. Unthinking and uncharitable comments stand in greater relief when not under immediate attack.

David

It's a fine suggestion from David, but most flare ups and wars are short lived and die out due to complications of ridiculousness and crazed foaming. The entertainment value of these wars is low like a car crash and the educational value of them are not the intended lesson of those involved as a rule. Personally I like it as it is, with Jeff stepping in now and again to say "Cool it" or an equivalent expression. 

CrewC

With strongly held opinions, I don't think there is any formula that can keep things on an even keel all the time or enforce civility toward all contributors. Sometimes righteous outrage will overwhelm even the best of us.

David

Political opinions are one thing. Where I think it crosses the line is when it turns in to personal attacks.

Discuss the issue, not the person. YMMV

If I could add a little something to your idea David, maybe one post per day, per topic.

I'm not sure if I agree with the idea but it's interesting. I too didn't like reading the back and forth banter. Then again, I chose to stop reading a few of those threads. I don't have a clear solution to suggest.