10 Subjects at a Round Table discussion: best solution

Mike Wally

Just got a call from a friend asking if I could help him record this event for a company. I don't have many details, he's trying to go scout the space, and get me more information.

From a theory level, what is the best way of going about this?

A.) Conventional idea would be to have all 10 subjects wired lapel style/above clothes. My Nomad-6 (with the upgrade) can do 10 tracks, so I'd be able to handle each of them on their own isolated track. The problem is they might need to be pulled away for other things, and so I'm not sure if wiring and unwiring will work with them.

B.) Have practical table mics. Would you need 10 of them, or could you create something with Figure-8 mics?  Would cub-mics work better, or something similar? Would you use just regular omni stick mics on a pidgeon type stand? How many would you need?

I don't know if they'd want to off-put to the camera's (again, still waiting for more information) but lets assume that I'm tasked with recording it separate. If I'm trying to do a mix down of 10 tracks into 2, I would split it 5 to the left output, 5 to the right?

Again, sorry if these seems simple, I've never had this many subjects to record at once.

I've done this, and what I wish I had more than anything was more boom ops. 3 to be exact. Depending on the size of the table, 3 boom ops should be able to cover 10 people sitting.

On the one I did they had two cameras, sometimes a third and 15 guests. Usually the camera ops would move to the location of the person speaking, allowing time for a boom op to get into position, usuall behind camera so they can look at the frame. If the cameras are on sticks then the boom ops stay by the camera and close in when the lenses zoom in. Assuming they do so. And you can work out ahead of time with the cam ops what they're trying to achieve...like how often they'll move in for close ups and the situations that call for it. In ours there was a host that asked questions so I wired him and that was it. Plants wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I feel like depending on which way their heads are turned you could potentially get burned.

I'm not saying don't go with automixer, but having been there in the particular situation I was faced with, more boom ops was the answer. Your circumstances will be different so you'll attack the show differently.

Best of luck,

Alexander

Dan Dugan automixer, available for rental or purchase from several LA companies:

http://www.dandugan.com/products/

or a Shure automixer:

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm810-8-channel-microphone-mixer

Or you could use a 788 with a built-in automixer, or a Yamaha 01V/01X mixer with the Dan Dugan MY16 automixer card slot option.

I would not advise trying to ride levels on 10 people at once, because there's too great a risk of having all the mics up at once (and 10 X normal room noise), and there's always the possibility of somebody talking before you're prepared for their fader.

Previously discussed here:

Thank you guys! My friend that contacted me was miss-informed; they wanted to just shoot b-roll of the 10 subjects talking, gets shot of them doing that. So, he thanked me for agreeing to try and jump in so quickly. Thanks for all the responses, it's great to know my options going forward. 

Will look forward to automixer coming to Nomad when ever they get around to it. Seems like the logical thing to do in this case is to just rent a 788 from Pro-Sound. The other options sound awesome, it's just a matter of PSS or Gotham carrying them in stock?

Multiple Boom Ops seems also highly logical, but I'd assume for that type of job they wouldn't want 3 people hovering around the "subjects".

Thank you Marc for those links, will read them, sorry for not looking up this question beforehand.

So, with an auto-mixer, would boundry mics be the way to go at that point?