Help me out, I'm awestruck here....

mikefilosa

I'm not awestruck, just very confused. The interface to whatever this grand experiment in presentation is supposed to be was incredibly confusing --- I never knew what I was looking at or listening to. 360 degree sound was selected but what I was hearing (with headphones) was fairly mundane and gimmicky stereo, cheesy ping-pong effects, etc. The interactive part (tracking my head-eye movement) was interesting, but again, it didn't seem to lead anywhere --- I would like to have been able to "interact" and achieve a straight on look at something and be able to listen to binaural sound that had some reasonably relation to the image. It must be my fault, I just couldn't understand it.

I think to truly appreciate what was being done here is to have a play back system similar to how it was being recorded.... not mixed into a format it was not.  I can see what's going on here, but... headphone or not... I only have 2 speakers to reproduce something that was intended for more.

I'm not awestruck, just very confused. The interface to whatever this grand experiment in presentation is supposed to be was incredibly confusing --- I never knew what I was looking at or listening to. 360 degree sound was selected but what I was hearing (with headphones) was fairly mundane and gimmicky stereo, cheesy ping-pong effects, etc. The interactive part (tracking my head-eye movement) was interesting, but again, it didn't seem to lead anywhere --- I would like to have been able to "interact" and achieve a straight on look at something and be able to listen to binaural sound that had some reasonably relation to the image. It must be my fault, I just couldn't understand it.

Jeff,

I dont think you let it load completely. It was a lengthy 20 min load on a high speed connection. There is a small % meter at the bottom of the page. Once it loads its a very cool immerse video concert that you can look around in real time and change cameras.

I Just started it so still figuring it out.

Jesse

Very interesting concept. I don't think it sounds very good but nice attempt! I think I was only hearing the 3D Binaural heads attached to the camera I was looking at. I noticed just about everything was close mic'ed but I don't think I was hearing it.

I did find a hidden gem though. I was watching the rotating cam in the back and looking at all the musicians. About half way through (right before the first breakdown) there is a vocalist (right before the Gospel Choir) and he is freaking out waving his arms at the monitor engineer and pointing at his mic. Pretty funny. Almost seems staged... maybe it is.

I think this was a very cool first step in a new type of music immersion for the audience. I turned off the face tracking, as that wasn't really working well. I could then use my trackball to move the camera around. I liked being able to jump from one camera to another. The change of audio perspective as you moved the visual perspective in real time is quite impressive. I didn't use headphones, though. I just used my speakers. I found one of the binaural microphone rigs when I was moving the center camera around. Here is a picture. It's actually kinda creepy looking.

post-321-0-44422000-1361402109_thumb.jpg