HD monitoring for the sound cart

Philip Perkins

A lot of jobs I'm getting these days are HD video, and they aren't providing any SD video downconverts at all.  So far the only small monitors I've seen that are even remotely affordable are the Marshall VR70P (HDSDI only) (http://lcdracks.com/monitors/vr70phdsdi.html)  at about $2k, and the Ikan monitors (http://www.ikancorp.com/pages/monitors/v8000hd/index.htm)  at about $800, but component HD only.  What I see working on sets are all HDSI monitors pretty much, but $2k is out of my budget range.  Another issue is that I JUST converted to the Cat-5 system, and I don't think my Intellix baluns are up to HDSDI.  I used to be able to get producers and rental houses to throw in a cheap AJA downconvertor, but now they are balking at the expense.  Great, now everyone can see but me....  Any ideas on a cheap HDSDI monitor (that runs on DC)?

Philip Perkins

how about just buy the AJA box and using your monitor?

That or this?  http://sewelldirect.com/audio-authority-1361-component-down-converter.asp    But they'd have to have component HD avail to feed it.  What are you going to do about this?  Get convertors (like I guess two if there are two cams)?  I'd like the conversion to take place somewhere other than my cart so I can continue to use my CAT5 system. Running 3-cable component HD video to me is a non-starter.

The Aja HD10MD3  is almost $1900--nice piece of gear but out of my league.

(Maybe I'll just point my miniDV cam at an HD monitor....)

Philip Perkins

If you need to convert from HD-SDI, the least expensive way might be to use an HD-SDI converter ($449.95) such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=aja+hi5&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

This one goes to HDMI and is cheaper than the ones that convert to HD-Component.  Buy a small HDTV with HDMI input -- a couple hundred bucks, or less -- and you're set.  You're even monitoring in HD!

I bought a couple of 15" HDTVs on sale and they rock.  They have both HD-component and HDMI inputs as well as composite and S-video.  I bought them to use primarily with my Panasonic HVX200 via HD-component connections so I'd have HD monitoring.  I made component breakaway cables for both the camera end and the monitor ends to make moving setups fast and easy.

However, I've used the monitors just as much for sound cart use.  So far, when shooting with HD, there's been a down converter on set that I've taken a feed from.  I don't have an SDI converter yet -- thus far I haven't needed one.

JB

another option is to use the down converted output on the camera to your CAT5. I have done this when there is no VTR on set. I added a BNC for each monitor on my I/O panel that goes to the second input. so the change over takes 2 seconds.

Many of the cameras in use around here don't have onboard SD downconvert built in, and there is an incipient wave of RED cameras about to take hold and they don't have downconvert either.  This all started because I was warned by both DITS and rental houses that they weren't going to take SD video into account anymore w/o extra rental $$.

Philip Perkins

If you need to convert from HD-SDI, the least expensive way might be to use an HD-SDI converter ($449.95) such as:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=aja+hi5&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

This one goes to HDMI and is cheaper than the ones that convert to HD-Component.  Buy a small HDTV with HDMI input -- a couple hundred bucks, or less -- and you're set.  You're even monitoring in HD!

I bought a couple of 15" HDTVs on sale and they rock.  They have both HD-component and HDMI inputs as well as composite and S-video.  I bought them to use primarily with my Panasonic HVX200 via HD-component connections so I'd have HD monitoring.  I made component breakaway cables for both the camera end and the monitor ends to make moving setups fast and easy.

However, I've used the monitors just as much for sound cart use.  So far, when shooting with HD, there's been a down converter on set that I've taken a feed from.  I don't have an SDI converter yet -- thus far I haven't needed one.

JB

Will HDMI work down CAT5?  All the cameras and video gear I work with seems to be HDSDI, not HDMI, and that's what they are telling em I need to be able to deal with.  (And not component HD either.)

Philip Perkins

Will HDMI work down CAT5?  All the cameras and video gear I work with seems to be HDSDI, not HDMI, and that's what they are telling em I need to be able to deal with.  (And not component HD either.)

Philip Perkins

My thought was that you could take an SDI feed to the cart and convert there.  BTW, one company on ebay lists the aforementioned adapter for $415 + $15 shipping and includes a power adapter.  B&H sells a power adapter for $39.95.

I also recently ran across an SDI via Cat 5 system, but I don't recall exactly where.

JB

• 1 year later...

I know there was another thread about this but I found a very affordable option for down converting and it very small.... 5.1" x 1.8" x 1"

AJA-D4E

http://www.aja.com/html/products_converters_D4E.html

Online for $200 USD

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=AJA%2DD4E&off=0&sort=prod&skuonly=0&search=AJA%2DD4E&pagesize=20

However, I don't think this converter is HD.  I believe it's just Standard Def SDI to Composite.  i.e. Cross-convert, but not down-convert.

JB

Scott F sent me the blurb on the Aja HD downconvertor--that might be a way to go.  Some soundpeople around here have bought a $2300 HD monitor whose brand escapes me at the moment and like it a lot-- the advantage is that it is native HD SDI so you get that quality of picture w/o delay, and it has 2 inputs so you could switch between two cams if you are into that kind of thing.  I think the DC draw is about the same as an SD monitor.  I kind if need a new monitor anyhow, so....

Philip Perkins

I kind if need a new monitor anyhow, so....

Hey, any justification for new toys! 

I have a couple of consumer HD monitors that work pretty well on set.  The picture is stellar, I can 12v. power them, and I've adapted them for adjustable 5/8" stud mounts.  Since they don't have SDI in I use an AJA HD-SDI to HD-Component converter -- works great.  The one thing I give up with these monitors is underscan.

If you can justify the Pro HD monitor purchase, that's probably the way to go.  What brand is the one you're looking at?  Another option, the Panasonic 17" HD monitors sell for about 3k.  Since they have come out with some newer models now, you might see if you can find a good used one for around what you're willing to spend.  They have lots of bells and whistles, more inputs than most of us could count, and even a waveform display.

HOWEVER, one potential problem with a really nice large monitor is that you're apt to find a good portion of the crew gathered around your cart.

I was on one shoot where the DP was using the smaller Panasonic HD monitor (a $4,000 device), and the director, producer, makeup, and others were watching mostly my HD monitor.  The gaffer turned up his nose and said, "it's not a professional monitor."  That didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference to the small crowd around mine, they still preferred it.

Moral of the story:  If you get a really nice HD monitor, ya gotta remember to bathe.

John B.