DPA 4017

Herbert Verdino

Lol.  My first post here - long reader, anyway..
 I was afraid of that answer. I'm currently before buying a new shotgun.  My NTG 3 is just good but.. DPA 4017b is on my focus.

Of course I  browse feedback for DPA  in the forum and internet, but there almost nothing. In general, little information and some misconceptions about the transformation of DPA 4017 to DPA 4017mk2 to currently 4017b.

So as I understand current version  4017b is from 2012 and the main advantage is the modality. There is choices from 3 preamplifiers (A,B, C)  and six capsulеs.(include budget 2000 series)  Furthermore, improved "Excellent" RF Immunity and some other improvements

In my country the price is lower than the schoeps cmit 5u, mkh 60 or 8070, (see no reason to buy 8060 due ntg3 ) . I know other sound guy in my area used mainly Sennheiser mkh 60 or Shoeps so DPA is not much known . Let's give a chance to someone who used this mic recently to share and refresh our knowledge .
 I intend to invest in DPA lavs to match those transparent sound what i heard from this demo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_umkd8STKEo    . . So guys, please ignore the  search suggestions and  share experiences with us. More is more:))
 (I used google translate partly,and  hope I have not trouble you with spelling)

::) I use the 4017´ for 5 years now, own two mikes from the first edition. But I would never buy mikes pretending of parts like the new model.

When actors walk on noisy surfaces I always use it. But when you have multi camera shoots other mikes give much better results.

Hi, and welcome...

" please ignore the  search suggestions "

using Google search, and jwsoundgroup.net as the first term brings up lots of good discussions that can get the conversations rolling.

ultimately, mic choices are both subjective, and personal, and buying an expensive primary mic is particularly so...

Perhaps your local importer or seller can arrange a demonstration ??

Thank you all for your statements! And thank you for the searching hind. Although I knew it already!

I was hoping, to hear some praktikal advices. Of course it`s a great mic. And also the fact, that choosing mics is something personal is also clear.... and often discused in tihs forum!!! But if you like the sound of an mic is not always the most important thing on an professional shoot. For axample would i never use my KMR81 on an doku or reality show, because of his sensitivity to RF influences! Although I like the sound of it realy much!

Maybe my queston was not clear. Are there some people, who have long time experiance with that mic?

Like "nagra1". Could you explane more, why you would not use it on multi camera shoots. And why is it good for noisy undergrounds?

Best ;-)

You should PM some of the members that participated in this thread:

More specific questions directed at them will get you more specific answers. 

Otherwise, you're just going to get random anecdotes.

Also 'nagra1'. Didn't realize you were referring to his username. 

Sawrab