Audio Harness

stefanosound

If at all possible, visit your local dealer and try some on. That's the sure way to find the one that fits you best. If you don't live near a dealer, find one with a very liberal return policy, and order 3 or 4 and send the rejects back.

+1. Planning a trip into NYC soon to do just this. After my last job sans harness I'm definitely in the market for one...

Well, if you are creative, you actually can make custom harnesses setups from scratch that are comfortable and that cost less than portabrace and petrols setups. It helps to have a basic background in climbing gear, knots, and harnesses to do this. There are chest harnesses, seat harnesses, full body harnesses for climbing. These can be used in any combination together for a audio harness.

You could create a versatile setup that allows you to switch between the load being in the hips, chest, or spread it all over the body, depending upon how you feel that day. You could also create a harness system that focuses on one of those three.

You could also use a combination of a heavy padded backpack belt used for large backpacking backpacks with a chest harness for climbing. You will have get the right combination that works for your body for this to work and play with the setup.

Climbing webbing and carabiners would be used also for the creation of the setups also.

If you know what you doing or willing to experiment around, you can create your own system that is customized for about $70 - little over $100 with some combination of premade / sewn harnesses, backpack belt(if you use this, probably won't need a seat harness), carabiners, and some webbing. Actually less than $70 if you can find gear sales. The material and gear used in climbing can easily pick up car. It won't break.

Another option is to tie chest harnesses and seat harnesses from only webbing and carabiners to create a audio harness setup. The premade harnesses tend to be more comfortable than tied ones. However, if you know what you are doing, you can make tied harnesses fairly comfortable or at least tolerable. This option is more advanced and requires some basic knowledge of climbing knots and how to tie a chest harness and seat harnesses used for climbing. This will cost $30-50 to make a harness system.

These are not typical ways to have an audio harness but they let you customize a audio harness to your exact specifications if you are willing to put in the work.

While I totally appreciate the DIY ethic displayed in the above post, I'm not sure a home built harness can really match any of the usual bag suspects for a heavy bag rig unless you are able to sew padding into the webbing you are using.   And years ago, when good harnesses were harder to find, I really tried, using climbing gear, radio harnesses and bits and pieces of backpacks.

All the names mentioned in the earlier posts make better harnesses than I was ever able to make,  and climbing gear is over- engineered (and as such more expensive)  and not designed for loads placed where we like to have them.  

Starting with a purpose built audio harness will probably be a better investment than buying climbing gear and webbing and trying to turn it into a harness.  If you are a climber, and have the stuff lying around, then go to town, but I don't really think walking into a climbing store to buy bits and pieces makes for an effective "first harness" experience.

And another harness name I will add is Kata, they make good bag and harness combos, although I will admit that I have heavily modified them for my use.  I love their continuously adjustable side straps and the simple and light nature of the design.  They are also easy to quickly get in and out of.   

my $.02 

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...