Scene Name incrementing with 788t

daniele turi

Hi soundies, I have a question about scene incrementing of 788t.

I am so sorry but I am new with 788t.

The problem is:

If I add a new name, and i select that name to record es: (Daniele) the recorder will show to me

the file: danieleT01.wav

So, I have recorded the scene with that name (Daniele), everything is ok but, if I select another name and I record with the other name and later, I come back to use the file Daniele, the recorder doesn't show to me that the next file will be danieleT02.wav but It show to me danieleT01.wav and, after the record, 788t will change the file in danieleT01A.wav.

What I have to change to increase the scene, after that I recall that, with take number and not with an add of a letter on my file name?

Thank you

dainele

Do I have to increment manually the take? But if I have done a lot of takes with Daniele.wav , and than I will record a lot of other scene, whan I come back to reselect the file Daniele.wav the record show to me always DanieleT01.wav. I have to keep in mind the number of times that I record with every scene? It is very strange this thing!

I got rid of the "T" for take numbers, because the editors I've talked to don't want it. The way the Avid typically names takes is "101A-1" for "scene 101A take 1". I say, get rid of the extraneous letter and just replace it with a dash.

I always let takes increment normally, but scene names are tricker, since they don't always go to the logical "A" or "B" or whatever. Last I checked, there was no way to put letters in take numbers, so we can't go "31B-2PU" for pickups (as one example).

Do I have to increment manually the take? But if I have done a lot of takes with Daniele.wav , and than I will record a lot of other scene, whan I come back to reselect the file Daniele.wav the record show to me always DanieleT01.wav. I have to keep in mind the number of times that I record with every scene? It is very strange this thing!

It is not typical to go back to a scene without the name of the scene changing.  Scenes are typically numbers and not names.  In Europe, I believe, they use shot numbers on the slate.  They start at 1, and for each change in camera setup they go to the next number.  The script supervisor would keep notes as to what scene and camera angle the slate number refers to.  It would be VERY uncommon to go back to previous shot and not give it a new number.  In the US, we use actual scene number on the slate.  New angles get a letter after the scene number (23 for the wide, 23A for a medium, 23B for the close-ups, etc.).  It is also rare to go back to an old camera setup.

Sound Devices resets the take number when you change the scene number.  99.999% of the time that's what is needed.  Your choice to call a scene Daniele, and then shoot lots of other scenes, and then go back and call another scene Daniele is just very uncommon.  Perhaps 'Daniele' for your first scene with that character, and if you go back, call it "Daniele_1".  It's probably a different shot, or something different, so it should be called something new.

Robert

I frequently have to return to a "scene" name (often the name of an interviewee) after recording a different scene, and pick up the take count where I left off.  The safest thing to do is do a quick perusal of your take list off the HDD button to check what the last take of that scene was previously, then pull up that scene name from the list and go to the take number item in the menu and manually enter what you want the next take to be.  It will increment from then on.  Once you do it a few times it's pretty quick.

philp

I frequently have to return to a "scene" name (often the name of an interviewee) after recording a different scene, and pick up the take count where I left off.  The safest thing to do is do a quick perusal of your take list off the HDD button to check what the last take of that scene was previously, then pull up that scene name from the list and go to the take number item in the menu and manually enter what you want the next take to be.  It will increment from then on.  Once you do it a few times it's pretty quick.

philp

Thanks yes I'm going to have to get faster at doing this, had a situation the other day where we were jumping from one camera to another and back several times (C300 to 5D - C300 on record run) and was trying to keep things in some kind of editor friendly order!

But did end up with one set of duplicated takes with A's added. Not helped by having to change timecode modes as well.

For all of the above, a CL-wifi module and your iPhone ( or an iPod Touch - refurbished or not ) will quickly become your best friends. For both bag or cart gigs, in case you don't already have it. Not that much a big investment for the time you'll save imo.

+1

Just returned from a shoot using my 788 rig with CL-Wifi and iPod Touch... Magic!

My motto is not "Life's a bitch", but "Things Change." And that includes scene numbers!

Rich

Hi soundies, I have a question about scene incrementing of 788t.

I am so sorry but I am new with 788t.

The problem is:

If I add a new name, and i select that name to record es: (Daniele) the recorder will show to me

the file: danieleT01.wav

So, I have recorded the scene with that name (Daniele), everything is ok but, if I select another name and I record with the other name and later, I come back to use the file Daniele, the recorder doesn't show to me that the next file will be danieleT02.wav but It show to me danieleT01.wav and, after the record, 788t will change the file in danieleT01A.wav.

What I have to change to increase the scene, after that I recall that, with take number and not with an add of a letter on my file name?

Thank you

dainele

I had same problems. Write to me in PM, so we can to speak in Italian,