Nagra III 1-sheet ad

pverrando

I lusted mightily for one of those when I was stuck with a Shure M67 (later 267).   As I recall the PSC clone of the 2880 was pretty good too but not as Euro-cool.  I only saw a 6F once (I think might have belonged to David MacMillan), it was the baddest ass mixer I'd seen up to that point (but I don't think they sold very many).  Sela was so common on movies for so long, and then….gone, from around here anyhow.   I really liked the flat top design, one of the reasons I drove a PSC M6 for many years--very compact mixer+recorder.  I miss those big rotary faders--higher rez than any linear fader used today….

philp

Ha. It's what I started mixing on when I moved up from booming. It and the 4.2 where from 20th Century Fox sound dept.  The mixer was a 2820BTS Sela Mixer...   The  Nagra IVS was from Coffey Sound.

Wow, that's very cool, Crew! Oh, I also lusted after a Sela mixer back in those days...  That was a very slick, beautiful mixer.

In 1967 dollars, a Nagra III with Neopilot and most of the options would be about $2000, which would be $14,195 today. And that's without a mixer. I'd say you could buy a pretty reasonable setup -- say, a 788, a Yamaha 01X, and some accessories -- for less than that. But... they wouldn't look quite as cool. 

Looking at the history page from Sela's website:

Sten Hagbergs gamla konstruktion - 2880-BT eller "Nagramixern" var troligen världens mest kända mixrar för dialoginspelning.
Den toppmoderna efterföljaren - 2880-6F från 1983 var i drift i flera studios i Sverige och i Hollywood.

which translates:

Sten Hagberg's old construction - 2880-BT or "The Nagra mixer" was probably the world's most well-known mixers for dialogrecording. The top modern successor - 2880-6F from 1983 were used in several studios in Sweden and in Hollywood.

They also state that the 2880-BT had been used on 11 films which had received Academy Awards for Best Sound during the years 1969-1981.

Link

I know the soundie who won an Emmy for Star Trek TNG mixed the season he won for on a Sela more or less like Crew's.  Very simple rig as I recall--wires seldom used, 2 rockin' boom ops on 816/416s, some plant mics; all mixed as 4-in to full track mono.

Sounded great.

For all of you (incl me) that missed out on the Sela 6F, here it is:

(A direct ancestor of the PSC M8, if not other mixers as well)

I found a pic of a sound cart from 1995 with a PortaDat and a DA88 being used with a 6F, so they were still in use on dramatic projects then.

philp

post-17-0-24691300-1403141001_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-57465000-1403141027_thumb.jpeg

Phil: " soundie who won an Emmy for Star Trek TNG mixed the season he won for on a Sela more or less like Crew's.  Very simple rig as I recall--wires seldom used, 2 rockin' boom ops on 816/416s, some plant mics; all mixed as 4-in to full track mono. "

That was the most excellent Alan "Laddie" Bernard,CAS, and the show remained pretty much that way for it's 7 years, although we switched to Stereo TC Nagra's in the early 90's, it was stiill pretty much dual track mono recording....

and mostly single boom with Schoeps on the stages...

Check the date of "PhilP's" OP ...

post-15-130815074381.jpg

(I've had this thread bookmarked for the 2nd half /'topic-morph' - starting @ post #5 (Simon Paine's query) - pertaining to mounting 'playable' sound clips on Jeff's site - w/ Jeff's & Courtney's following discussion.

Yeah, that's where I was at in 2007, did a lot of jobs with that rig, incl music.  But eventually I needed rigs that were A: more portable or B: had WAY more inputs and record channels, so all the gear in those pix is gone by now.  The M6 was fun!

philp