I am going to the UK for a bit

dfisk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" (without removable media! why oh why): "

the target market for these prefers it that way...  :unsure:

Is still a mystery to me, why would a manufacturer limit sales (to a broader customer base) because some of the potential buyers don't need a cheap and easily implementable functionality. Almost all the competition for these recorders has removable media, and of course your not obliged to remove it to load it onto a computer if you don't want to. The only other device i can think of without removable media is our 'beloved' ios phones/pads/pods and at least some of those allow for a recording (made with an appropriate app) to be uploaded to clouds and such through a wifi/3g/4g network. Even more crazy when you think about how SD card prices have dropped in the last few years and what that would mean for your 4gb nagra badged handheld in 2 years when a 64gb card will cost c.$20 and might even include some wifi audio functionality (like eyefi). :blink:

ah! sorry OP, gone soooo OT. (2x). >:D

dr

man...today was a good and long day. I didn't get around as much, but I will tomorrow. I was hoping for some good SWAG, since I'm all about the free t-shirts, but haven't found any yet. I did say hi to Paul from SD in the Shure booth and saw the PIX260i with it's computer software over the internet thingy, and man, that was really really impressive. I'll let someone from SD give the lowdown on how all that works because I will not do it justice. 

One the way back into the hotel I literally bumped into John Willett, which was really cool. Super nice guy. I'll be seeing more of him tomorrow. 

This city is so impressive. I wish I had an extra week to just walk around. When I'm out and about it seems there is something really interesting to see of a historic nature everywhere I turn. Just looking at the tower of london was awe inspiring. It just boggles my mind how old some of these structures are and I would love to be able to go back in time and see how they built them. 

Everyone is super friendly, as well. Even the stop lights are friendly. Instead of going from red to green, they go red, yellow, green. Kind of a "hey there fellow, it's almost time for you to hit the gas, so here is a gentle reminder that you will be on the go in a second". 

Omaha, I'm sure it costs more. Perhaps several euros more (per unit). After all they'd have to make a separate mould for the door and add some documentation to the instruction manual - it's wonder tascam, marantz, zoom, olympus etc haven't gone out of business with their extravagant removable media designs. Nuf of my sarcasm. Raycom were giving away mugs yesterday and if visitors have the time the cable car that runs from outside excell across the Thames looks really cool IMHO and i believe you can use an oyster card - tho I'm bit embarrassed to say I've not been on it yet. And yes London is very expensive - it costs at least £10/day just to breath the particle rich air (although who's charging me for this I'm not exactly sure cos food rent transport and taxes are all on top). Atb, dr

Omaha, I'm sure it costs more. Perhaps several euros more (per unit). After all they'd have to make a separate mould for the door and add some documentation to the instruction manual - it's wonder tascam, marantz, zoom, olympus etc haven't gone out of business with their extravagant removable media designs. Nuf of my sarcasm. Raycom were giving away mugs yesterday and if visitors have the time the cable car that runs from outside excell across the Thames looks really cool IMHO and i believe you can use an oyster card - tho I'm bit embarrassed to say I've not been on it yet. And yes London is very expensive - it costs at least £10/day just to breath the particle rich air (although who's charging me for this I'm not exactly sure cos food rent transport and taxes are all on top). Atb, dr

It's Boris - that Oyster card is perma-linked to a seething network of underground computers draining credit minute by minute......

I was given cream for my tea on several occasions.

Eh...?

As someone who has lived in the U.K. for all my born days, and who consumes vast amounts of the 'amber liquid' that isn't beer, I can honestly say I've never been offered cream for my tea anywhere. And with good reason. It would be weird.

I suppose the milk can be pretty creamy if it's whole milk...

I do love the fact that beans on toast is regarded as a 'must eat' though. Awesome stuff.

Are you sure you bought the right one, Dave?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Bridge_(Lake_Havasu_City)

Yup. I was on the Tower Bridge in that picture. The one in Lake Havasu is the London Bridge. The funny thing is, the Americans thought the London Bridge was Tower Bridge, and ended up with a very bland bridge. I got the cool one.

" the Americans thought the London Bridge was Tower Bridge, "

er, many Americans thought the Tower Bridge was the London Bridge...

That's what I said. It doesn't matter which one you put first. They purchased london bridge thinking they were getting tower bridge. 

"

May I suggest, that while you are in (at least an urban part of) Oregon, or other more cosmopolitan areas of the Northwest ..that you might ask around, if ... Anyone can make you a "London Fog?"

(Earl Grey, w/ steamed milk , and typically a flavoring - like vanilla.)"

Everyone knows about Portland..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVmq9dq6Nsg