Hanging a sound blanket

Bob Marts

I've used the arrangement that the O.P. details. It works well. In my case I've furnished my own C-Stands.

However, most often I use a much lighter and more portable kit comprised of lightweight light stands and a lightweight crossbar. I have furnies with pre-installed shower hooks (loops, in this case) that the crossbars slide through.

Very good sound under those conditions, Jim. I agree: too many producers grab photographic studios and assume they can use them as "soundstages" when they're anything but. The problem of contamination from outside traffic and overhead planes is also pretty rough at some of the places I've dealt with. The overhead 20x20 does tend to absorb ceiling reflections; I've done that and also created a virtual "sound tunnel" in really bad reverberant rooms to eliminate the slap echo, which works when we're not dealing with wide & tight.

Bob, that's a great way to hang the blanket!! I'm going to borrow that. As for well stocked grip department, the other way was to put two c-stands, one on either side and clip with #2's on the arms as the meet in the middle. This way, Bob's way, uses one c-stand and two arms, and thus less gear, although two c-stands are still required, but not fully used.

Has anyone tried one of these for simple VO recordings?

http://www.markertek.com/Acoustic-Materials/Portable-Sound-Booths-Acc/Pocket-Sound-Booth/PSB-OVAL.xhtml

yeah i frequently use the "69 arms" technique to hang blankets. i've acquired a few extra c-stands that i usually have in my car for such situations. it definitely helps.

another cool thing i've seen lately from a local gaffer is he took some speed rail (pipe) from home depot/lowes of two diameters, one larger than the other (so one fits inside the other), drilled some holes through it and used a pin to hold it either compressed or extended. i've been meaning to do something similar but keep forgetting about doing it.