Congrats Simon Hayes and Crew!

Max Hirtenstein

Please let there be a LOTR level of special features on the DVD/Blu-ray release.  Those were the reason I started in this business, and I can only imagine an in depth behind the scenes look at what went into the sound on Les Mis will do the same for many more people to come.

Congrats!!

Seconded... love it when the special features are as interesting(and sometimes moreso) as the movie itself!

Congratulations!

In my opinion, the most important thing we can learn from Simon Hayes' success goes beyond the technical expertise and raw talent required to operate the equipment used to record great live dialog and singing tracks. Music recording has been a big part of most of the productions I've worked on since the 70s. I've been a proponent of recording the music live as much as possible, and, though I've had varying degrees of success, have always been met with every conceivable excuse why it can't be done. From what I understand, what Simon was able to achieve required him standing his ground, insisting that the production revolve around the sound department more than they are traditionally willing to do. That required political, social, and communication skills in winning the confidence of the director, producers, and actors, then perseverance in making sure they stayed the course, and, finally, being able to make good on his recommendations by delivering the tracks as promised.

Simon's achievements in Les Miserables make it more possible for all of us to gain ground for our craft. It is up to us keep the forward momentum that Simon has put in motion.

Congratulations, Simon. What you did not only dramatically improved the film, but also improved the status of our profession and what we will be able to accomplish.

Glen Trew

I tend to agree with Glen's post, ...

" From what I understand, what Simon was able to achieve required him standing his ground, "

but based on Simon's posts, and interviews, etc. I get the feeling it really was the movie's director who committed to the decision and stood his ground, thus enabling Simon and his teammates to actually achieve the goal,  and it also required all of the rest of the movie's team to be on-board.

certainly a milestone!