Best/most versatile wiring for Sonotrim/Tram?

James Louis

My apologies to bug you about a wiring question, but I've looked online, on the Posthorn website, in my show room, and here on the forum: 
What do you think would be the most give-and-take wiring for buying a sonotrim mic, or a tram, or any lavalier for that matter? I do use my xlr connectors quite a bit, for interviews, but my current lavs are all over the place: a 4-pin for a sony ECM, and a microdot for a dpa, etc.

As for wireless I'm mostly on the sidelines between lectrosonics or zaxcom, even if I rent them for many years to come. But that's just the thing: I don't understand from the zaxcom material whether the same 5-pin connection that I wired for a lectro lav would work straight into their transmitters. And on the flipside, if my budget is smaller or someone has acquired a sennheiser set-up, is the 5-pin still going to be the best starting point? Do you foresee this standard sticking around for awhile or are you thinking that you'll rewire your lavs differently any time soon? And as you can see, none of my current lavs are wired for any transmitters out of the box. Makes me wonder what foot I started off on!

Cheers to you

Micron: mini 5p Lemo,Audio Ltd : 6 p Lemo,Lectro :TA5, Sennheiser G series: minijack and so on...Like Mike say's : What standard...?Either have all 'standards' you use available(when you own different systems:like I do...),or have the rental company provide the mike/plug you need with the rented wireless.No standard in sight.David C. 

Thanks fellas, that does make me feel at least like I'm not the only one wandering in the woods, if nonetheless lacking in survival skills. But perhaps I chose my words too casually. Not 'standard' per se, but is there an optimal set of wiring choices that would position you to accommodate the most options and to respond if the market eventually favors one wireless platform over the other? Or do you compensate with a set of must-have adapters, lavs wired for different systems, budget for both systems as you have, or rewire occasionally as trends and tastes shift?

Thank you, that gets to the topic: 3-pin for the TRX900AA's. Part of the friction in my question comes from the lack of money to move around, and my work is transitioning from in-house sedentary interviews to run and gun branding showcases in photo studios, city settings, etc. Put these conditions together, and I'm less likely to have my own fleet of mics for different configurations.

As for application, I do acquire my mics based on frequency response curve, handling, staging, placement etc. I just don't know how to hedge my bets with wiring, and at my budget they really are investments, not discretionary additions.

Would you sweat it much if you were reaching for adapters all the time, or do you hear an audible advantage to choosing the right hardwiring, assuming it stays consistently grounded and with the right pole? What other strategies fall on the Pareto line, if buying lots of lavs is simply not an option?

Thanks for keeping the subject alive, at least until we hear about some more options

• 2 months later...

Btw, I've since gained a better sense of humor about this, thanks for your replies! Will just get a bit more patient about collecting mics. Fair enough that some folks are filling out their mic locker with Oscar's. In my case, I like to still fall back on the battery that comes with the tr-79.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the market favors one manufacturers wiring over another in the future, there is no way to know until it happens. The nice thing about mics is that you can always cut off the connecter and re terminate them with a different one (thought some mics will not work with every system, so <cap>). I own a bunch of G3 systems from my earlier days, which I now rent out to younger mixer friends. Stuff happens to the mics, since they are fragile, so I buy better mics from the fellas here or on ebay or wherever, and terminate them for the G3s. I use Lectros, and I can safely say that any time I have needed some mics in a hurry I have never had a problem finding the mics I want with the wiring I require. I cannot say the same for the G3s, which is why I terminate them myself (plus with the locking 1/8" connecter, theres only a couple types that I like, so I get to use my own!).

So there you have it. I would say go with whatever you use the most, and then try to favor those when renting or whatever. If the market turns, have them re soldered to a new connector.