Power Consumption on SMQvs are different? HELP!

hiro nakamura

Hi guys, 

Am I having problem with the power consumption on my SMQv or I am just panic for nothing. 

I bought two  SMQVs with SRb a month ago. and I am using NiMh batteries to power them. 

With two SANYO eneloop 2,450mAh, each of them only have about 3 hours life time. 

However, I used to have a SMa, with single battery (Same battery) it takes about 3 hours. 

I just realized that the battery life is not as good as the manual's stated.

Is that normal with the battery life?

Another thing I noticed that.... if I take out two batteries from SMQv_A, which has full batteries level (Showed on my SRb) to put into SMQv_B 's battery compartment. It only shows 80%of the battery level ? 

Which mean, one of the SMQv is more power consuming than another. .... ;(

I am trying different brand of batteries after I finish the shoot. However, I don' t think it's the battery problem.

Your advice and opinion are highly appreciated

Thanks 

Hiro

I had this same problem. I actually returned a new SMQV to Lectro since I only got about 1 1/2 hours on the same rechargeable batteries that would give me at least 5 hours of use on my older SMQV.  The response from Lectro was that the new one was within spec and there was nothing wrong with it.  (I always just use 100mW - I was told switching it to 50mW does not improve battery life)  I actually did some tests with time lapse - and what I've learned is that I have to use Energizer lithiums only now in my newer SMQVs.  The lithiums last a very long time, as jwill just mentioned.

I had this same problem. I actually returned a new SMQV to Lectro since I only got about 1 1/2 hours on the same rechargeable batteries that would give me at least 5 hours of use on my older SMQV.  The response from Lectro was that the new one was within spec and there was nothing wrong with it.  (I always just use 100mW - I was told switching it to 50mW does not improve battery life)  I actually did some tests with time lapse - and what I've learned is that I have to use Energizer lithiums only now in my newer SMQVs.  The lithiums last a very long time, as jwill just mentioned.

Hi David,

Try the rundown test I described to Hiro. If you only get 1.5 hours, something is indeed wrong.

The voltage of a 90% charged NiMh and a 15% charged NiMh is so close together, that the circuity in the SMQv can't differentiate. What this says, is that one SMQ might indicate a good battery and the next SMQ would indicate a depleted one even though both batteries were 90% charged. Alkalines are 1.5 Volts at full charge and 0.9 Volts at 10% charge. NiMh is 1.22 Volts and 1.19 Volts over the same 90-10 state.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro