Roland Unveils a New Economical 10 Track Recorder at Gotham Sound

AudioSheik

EVENT CANCELLED DUE TO UNDESIRABLE WEATHER CONDITIONS FOR AIRPLANE TRAVEL

Hello JW Sound Community Members,

Come check out the Roland Systems Group Audio-Video Showcase at our place, March 6th at 6PM. Along with the new R-88 8-Channel/10-Track Recorder, Roland will also be showcasing their M-200i V-Mixer. See how these new products impressively propel Roland's entry into the multi-channel field recorder market.

As always, there will be food!

Please register by clicking on this link: Roland Registration 

Cheers!

C.Z. Wittich & C. Allen

Sales Manager and Senior Nerd of Gotham Sound

the greatest audio shop ever

The past week I tried to do a job with the R88 and finally I had to go to my office for get my Nomad (As master clock).

Roland said me that timecode issue is a bug. In theory the R88 have timecode inside, but if you  turn off the machine, you lose the timecode. 

I saw a "timecode in" and "timecode out" jack, plus timecode was not mentioned anywhere in the specs, so I assume that it's external timecode only. Does it in fact have a built-in timecode generator?

Page 47 in the manual. Timecode modes

http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/assets/media/pdf/r88_manual_e01_W.pdf

OFF

Timecode will not be recorded.

INT

The R-88’s internal timecode will be recorded. Timecode

will always be running.

The time can be specified in the internal timecode

setting menu, either manually or by jamming.

RTC

The internal clock will be recorded instead of timecode.

* The internal clock time will be output as timecode

from TIMECODE OUT jack.

REC-RUN

The R-88’s internal timecode will be recorded. Timecode

will run only while recording.

* When the power is turned on, or when the REC-RUN

START TC setting has been made, timecode will start

running from REC-RUN START TC.

EXT SYNC

The external timecode sent from a connected device

will be recorded.

The R-88’s audio clock will synchronize to the external

timecode.

* The R-88’s audio clock will vary. Use EXT (AUTO JAM) if

you want to fix the R-88’s audio clock.

* If external timecode stops being input, automatically

jammed internal timecode will be recorded.

EXT

(AUTO JAM)

will be recorded.

EXT SYNC REC

External timecode sent from a connected device will be

recorded. The R-88’s audio clock will synchronize to the

external timecode. Recording will begin automatically

when valid timecode is received, and recording will stop

when timecode reception stops.

* Recording will start immediately when valid timecode

is received.

* The R-88 will also respond to the [ ] (REC) button and

the [ ] (STOP) button.

* The R-88’s audio clock will vary. Use EXT REC if you

want to fix the R-88’s audio clock.

EXT REC

will be recorded. Recording will begin automatically

when valid timecode is received, and recording will stop

when timecode reception stops.

* Recording will start immediately when valid timecode

is received.

* The R-88 will also respond to the [ ] (REC) button and

the [ ] (STOP) button.

jammed internal timecode will be recorded

What ramallo has put here seems to be very comprehensive timecode support with internal generator. One feature of this low cost recorder that is not found on any of our typical high end recorders is the USB to DAW support. The hope would be that this interface functionally provides recording of all isos (pre-fader) and a selection of output busses.

Once again, this appears to be another mass-produced product aimed at the music market, with aspirations as a "wannabe" contender in the film/video market. Like the Tascam, it falls rather short in a few areas. Although I have not had a chance for a hands on demo yet, the menu structure for file-naming looks to be cumbersome at best. No external keyboard support either. (It also states that the iMXL data is not loaded on playback, although I assume it is still stamped in the file header).

While the manual (page 14) states the the file format is BWF, it only makes mention of scene and take data in the iXML header. No mention of what (if anything) gets recorded in the "bext" chunk.

Having said that, for $2495.00, you can't expect a whole lot. It even provides for a 5 second pre-roll before "record". Like the Tascam, this could serve as a great backup recorder, if you are willing to put up with the grief of file-naming limitations. Like most of these products, I always look at them thinking "if only"....

One could always hope for a third party hack that could make the recorder a bit more "film-friendly", but my experience in the past has been that most everything related to the system itself is hard-coded in the chipsets, leaving few options for hacking without doing a significant re-design.

Look forward to getting one to play with.

Hey--I like built in speakers!  It was very convenient in the Nagra days, and I used the one in my HDP2 a lot.  W/ my SD stuff I have to carry around a little speaker like a xmi in case I need to do a quick playback for a group of people from a bag.   But it's kind of a low priority anymore.....

philp

Just read through the R-88 manual. Here :  http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/assets/media/pdf/r88_manual_e01_W.pdf

Looks pretty fully featured.   Like the ability to simultaneously record internally and to computer via usb.   Also can transfer/copy sessions/projects  from R-88 internal directly to a connected USB stick; bypassing need to copy through computer.  Like the footswitch idea to start/stop recording and other assignable functions - could maybe have a boompole mounted start/stop switch.   

Can assign knobs as mixer faders or use touchscreen. 

If I understand correctly, from the R-88 you could record internally, record to computer, feed at least 2 cameras, feed DSLR, send to external mixer/recorders.

If mic pres sound good, not bad at the $2,500 pricepoint - has anybody heard the sound quality yet? Would also like to hear sound of R-88 preamps recording music tracks into Logic, ProTools, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

If mic pres sound good, not bad at the $2,500 pricepoint - has anybody heard the sound quality yet? Would also like to hear sound of R-88 preamps recording music tracks into Logic, ProTools, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

I've only used the R-44, but I can imagine by the looks of the R88 that the preamps would be the same or similar.. And I don't like the R-44 very much. They're like the Zoom preamps "naked" (I.E no mixer in front); a little too harsh in the higher freqs... Gives a somewhat "plastic" tone... that's the only way I can describe the sound of it.. Still good bang for buck. 

Hi Olle,

Thanks for your feedback.  I know that "plastic" Zoom kind of tone you mean. Had a Zoom unit - returned it.

Nonetheless, I'll hope to hear the R-88 soon in hopes that they've upgraded the pre-amps.

Cheers,

Dave

Just read through the R-88 manual. Here :  http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/assets/media/pdf/r88_manual_e01_W.pdf

Looks pretty fully featured.   Like the ability to simultaneously record internally and to computer via usb.   Also can transfer/copy sessions/projects  from R-88 internal directly to a connected USB stick; bypassing need to copy through computer.  Like the footswitch idea to start/stop recording and other assignable functions - could maybe have a boompole mounted start/stop switch.   

Can assign knobs as mixer faders or use touchscreen. 

If I understand correctly, from the R-88 you could record internally, record to computer, feed at least 2 cameras, feed DSLR, send to external mixer/recorders.

Cheers,

Dave

The ability to copy directly to a USB stick isn't as big a deal as you might think unless the machine can do so while it is also recording new files.  I often have to offload audio (from CF, on a computer) to a USB stick while continuing to record new files.   It is interesting that they have put in the ability to use the recorder as a computer-recording interface--people have been asking that of SD and ZAX for many years.

philp