New Zaxcom Fusion ENG style mixer recorder.

pvanstry

Just got the brochure on the new Zaxcom Fusion to be released soon.  I

posted it on my site under Press/Link at the bottom.  Have a look, it

looks pretty darn impressive and really cool.

Pascal

Pascal Van Strydonck

Concepteur et consultant

Audio

Designer and Consultant

Email: pascal...@mac.com

Who cares about the old one??!!  Look at the new one...

http://www.trewaudio.com/download/zaxcom_fusion.pdf

A very exciting product, IMO.  There will be more discussion once it is released (next week, I believe), of course, but until then we can all be happy to have another recorder in our ever-expanding palette of options.

Paul

And to be honest with you, I think that for the price tag it might be worth to wait a little more for Sound Devices to come out with a competitive product. The Sonosax SX-62R can also do all what the Fusion can for only $7900...

BTW the Old "Deva Fusion" idea was to put together mixer/receiver/RF link together on a single unit. So looking back does care when you are talking about supposedly new ideas...

Think of the Deva Fusion as a Deva 5.8, but with CF drive replacing the HDD, and no DVD-RAM drive.

This is a truely solid state Deva.

It has 8 x analogue (i.e. mic/line) IPs, and 6 x analogue OPs, plus HP and 10 pin HiRose)

It has 8 x digi IPs, and 8 x digi Ops.

It has EQ (incl notch EQ), and Comp/limiters.

I think that in fact, the Deva Fusion can do rather more than the Sonosax, for a base price of only a little more, using tried and tested soft and harware.

I cannot compare it with the SD tba, as we still have no idea of what they are working on!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

And to be honest with you, I think that for the price tag it might be worth to wait a little more for Sound Devices to come out with a competitive product. The Sonosax SX-62R can also do all what the Fusion can for only $7900...

BTW the Old "Deva Fusion" idea was to put together mixer/receiver/RF link together on a single unit. So looking back does care when you are talking about supposedly new ideas...

Did anyone else notice the dedicated button on the face of the Fusion marked "Wireless" / Mon.

Could it be there is still a wireless link planned for this machine?  Why else would there be a button labeled "Wireless".

----Courtney

I guess all questions will be answered a week from Friday when I/we get our hands on one.  Several of the buttons are different from the 5.8.  I certainly hope false start, S.T.N., etc. functionality is all present as I intend for this to be my cart recorder as well.  I imagine those buttons will be user assignable to some degree.  Zaxcom seems to be presenting the Fusion as their ENG machine, but with an external DVD-RAM burner it seems every bit as well suited for the cart as their other machines.

Paul

I think the 32GB compact flash cards will be out before too long. The 16GB are already down to about $85, which is pretty cheap. The brochure says that one CF port records the MARF files, while the other simultaneously records to FAT-32 (I assume BWAV files). External DVD-RAM and hard drives can be connected via Firewire, so that should be no problem on a cart.

I just noted there's going to be a demo of the new Zaxcom Fusion at Coffey Sound in LA on Friday, February 15th, from 10AM-1PM. I assume most of the questions above will be answered there.

--Marc W.

Without using any compression recording 8 tracks 24b/48k to CF you

need 2.02 MB per sec per track and current CF offerings are at 16 GB's

and with one CF port only recording in proprietary MARF format you

will still need to convert it using a computer program and in the

field that means possibly bringing a laptop and DVD-RAM (only FAT32

format from Zaxcom) drive which is not so great for ENG work. Seems

like they missed the mark on this one. I think it will end up hurting

Deva 5.8 in the long run.

This is the first time I've posted here and on RAMPS on the same topic...it's exhausting!!  So, if you just can't get enough of this topic, check out RAMPS.  

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound/browse_frm/thread/aa51c05a5b90411b?scoring=d&

Anyway, I'm excited about the machine.  I'm not going to crosspost here what I already posted on RAMPS in response, but I will add that for ENG I think many productions will move toward accepting CF as a deliverable.  Maybe they will provide them and reuse them until the price comes down a bit more.

Paul

I don't see this happening anytime soon....until post supervisors buy into it for long term storage it will be a long time before it becomes acceptable.

I concur.  It just doesn't make sense. I mean, how come post-sound can rely on DigiDelivery & ftp servers and production sound just can't move on from DAT & DVD?

Hi All ,

The EFX package states there is an EXPANDER !! How many of us on set uses expander on our dialog track during recording? I use that on my Pro-Tools in post but on set??

Why not a Cedar plugins too :) that will be attractive.

I think for an ENG mixer, it seems pretty advance if the EFX package are loaded. 8K for a 4 tracker is pretty steep.

Alan

Most of the reality and documentary production companies I provide technical consulting to aren't even ready for P2 let alone CF. It was hard enough to get them to bite on portable bus powered HDD's. They want non destructible media.

We would gladly take CF media for post if we just had a way to play it back. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there isn't a post-savvy CF audio player that will lock to video reference and allow .1% pulldown for telecine transfers. For that reason, we would have to copy the CF card to a DVD-RAM (or DVD-R) prior to transfer, and that would cost time and money.

--Marc W.

We would gladly take CF media for post if we just had a way to play it back. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there isn't a post-savvy CF audio player that will lock to video reference and allow .1% pulldown for telecine transfers. For that reason, we would have to copy the CF card to a DVD-RAM (or DVD-R) prior to transfer, and that would cost time and money.

--Marc W.

um. forgive me if i am asking a silly question here. but can the files not be imported into the project either directly or by transferring onto the edit systems hard drive? or is the .1% telecine an online only process?

um. forgive me if i am asking a silly question here. but can the files not be imported into the project either directly or by transferring onto the edit systems hard drive? or is the .1% telecine an online only process?

I'm talking about real-time telecine dailies. We can always transfer film (or HD) M.O.S., but studio executives have the strange idea that they're entitled to looking at dailies with sound as early as possible in the morning. We typically deliver the first reel of dailies before 6AM, and it's hard to get an assistant editor up earlier than that to make DVDs, Quicktime movies, and Avid copies for all the participants. It's compounded by HD, where the previous day's material is typically screened by the director around noon.

We can always just take the incoming CF card and make a DVD-RAM disk out of that, but so far, few clients want to pay us to do it. It's only a $5 disk, but it takes $50 worth of labor to get the files on it, even at a non-union facility.

We're continuing to ask Fostex for a CF card player for telecine rooms. Maybe they'll have an answer by NAB. If the FR-2 just had external sync, wordclock in, and an RS-422 control function, that would work, though we'd prefer a rackmount device.

--Marc W.

I'm talking about real-time telecine dailies. We can always transfer film (or HD) M.O.S., but studio executives have the strange idea that they're entitled to looking at dailies with sound as early as possible in the morning. We typically deliver the first reel of dailies before 6AM, and it's hard to get an assistant editor up earlier than that to make DVDs, Quicktime movies, and Avid copies for all the participants. It's compounded by HD, where the previous day's material is typically screened by the director around noon.

We can always just take the incoming CF card and make a DVD-RAM disk out of that, but so far, few clients want to pay us to do it. It's only a $5 disk, but it takes $50 worth of labor to get the files on it, even at a non-union facility.

We're continuing to ask Fostex for a CF card player for telecine rooms. Maybe they'll have an answer by NAB. If the FR-2 just had external sync, wordclock in, and an RS-422 control function, that would work, though we'd prefer a rackmount device.

--Marc W.

ahh. thanks

I'm talking about real-time telecine dailies. We can always transfer film (or HD) M.O.S., but studio executives have the strange idea that they're entitled to looking at dailies with sound as early as possible in the morning.

--Marc W.

It is important to realize that what Marc is saying about the whole production - daily - post chain --- many of the procedures which do not really have any technical or economic obstacles, procedures which we all agree would be possibly faster, more efficient and so forth, cannot be immediately adopted because of the established workflows in place. The demands that are placed on the primary telecine session on a daily basis are enormous --- sure, these are things which are done in the relative calm of the telecine suite and not out in the cold rain where we are doing our production work, but intense all the same.

All of this, it should be noted, also really only applies to the common methods of work here in the U.S. where typically the picture editorial department relies entirely on telecine, even when film is not involved, to achieve sync material that is available to all those who need it (and need it NOW). It has taken quite a long time to even get DVD-RAM (and other) optical disks accepted as a standard production deliverable. I am quite confident that CF may well get integrated into the daily - post chain and Zaxcom's decision should help move this along because of the huge user base. This would be a boon, of course, to Sound Devices 7 series users, who prior to SD implementing outboard disk support were hoping that post facilities would accept CF. In those situations, like in other countries where sync is achieved typically in the picture edit domain, the use of CF should be welcomed. A simple and inexpensive CF reader can be used and transfer speeds vs. optical disk is sufficient.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

--Marc W.

Marc

Have you looked at the Tascam X48?  According to it's specs it has all the requirements of telecine, like Video or Tri-Level sync reference, 9 pin sony protocol for remote control and chase-lock sync, and is based on embedded Windows XP so external drives can be mounted through the USB2 ports.  This could easily accommodate a USB2 CF card adaptor.  I don't have one so I can't verify that it would work in telecine, but it seems to have all the requirements and is relatively cheap and could also be used in Re-Recording since it accommodates up to 48 tracks.  It has analog and Digital I/O available.  It also could accommodate USB2 or firewire Hard drives used for backup on set.

I know this is sounding like a promo or ad, but I don't own any Tascam equipment so I can't say it will work properly, but it has all the specs and the price is attractive.

---------Courtney