Can anyone recommend a better location hard drive than the Lacie Rugged?

Hello!

I've had my Lacie Rugged decide to just not connect on several occasions on location recently, and even though I've got the recordings on my 788's internal drive which I then backup on my bigger drive at home, I'm paranoid and like to make as many copies as possible :P

So, can anyone recommend a sturdy location hard drive instead of the Rugged?

Cheers!

Eren 

When it comes to external Hard Drives I've had the best success with the owc products from macsales.com. I know it doesn't have a fancy rubber case, but I also don't drop my hard drives constantly. Every Lacie that we've ever had at work has eventually died due to controller card issues. By every, I mean to say 5. We've had one fall off a motorcycle and keep working, but for some reason they all always end up EOLing due to some some kind of burn mark on the controller card when we go in to get the drives out. Right now I really like the owc case loaded with a sandisk extreme ssd that I get off of Amazon.

> So, can anyone recommend a sturdy location hard drive instead of the Rugged?

Two LaCie Rugged drives. I hear fairly frequent tails of LaCie failures; but is that because of poor design/ventilation of the cases (one theory) or because they sell so many drives we of course hear more about their failures than we do of failures from a vendor with smaller sales? Got me.

Anyway, here are some brands of portable drives I've worked with that seem pretty reliable:

Glyph

http://www.glyphtech.com/

CalDigit

http://www.CalDigit.com/

And I see (and end up using) drives in cases from G-Technology, LaCie, and Macsales/OWC. The drives seem to rarely fail. The power supplies and electronics in the cases fail somewhat more often (but not all that frequently)...usually, just putting the drive in a new case (or in a toaster drive dock like the NewerTech Voyager) gets us through the problem.

HTH,

Jim

No LaCie for me, ever again.  That orange rubber thing around the edge of the "rugged" drives is decoration--it does nothing at all to protect the drive.  DITs in my area prefer the GTech drives, esp the larger form-factor (the smaller ones don't have cooling fans).  They've both worked well for me.  Unless you are recording big-bandwidth video you don't really need a 7500 or 10K rpm drive, and lesser iron will work very well for backup transfers.  I've kind of bailed on firewire after many years, and use all USB now.  My current fave backup medium isn't a drive at all, it's a 32 GB USB stick--no moving parts, and cheap!

philp

No LaCie for me either, I've had repeated external and internal power supply failures, and LaCie does not seem to want to learn that if you maximize profits by sourcing cheap power supplies there's going to be a high failure rate and you will lose customers, and loose revenue ultimately.

I've had decent luck with Lacie drives. I have had ones eventually fail, but I also throw those "rugged" drives in my messenger bag and they get tossed around. 

I have an editor friend that uses the Lacie and the G-drives. The one thing he said to me was that he felt the Lacie drives shipped with crap cables, and felt that he had problems when their included cables had a loose connection to the drive. First thing he did when he opened a new Lacie drive was to cut the cables in two with a pair of scissors or a leatherman, and use some quality cables he carried with him. 

It's possible a loose cable with intermittent connections could mess with the internal power supply, let alone the drive itself. 

I have done a few shows where we used a pair of the smaller G-drives. We would FedEx them back and forth from location. In some cases across the US, and on one show from Philly to the UK. They mostly worked that way, until some fiscally concerned desk jockey told us to use cardboard boxes instead of a little Pelican (because of shipping prices) and we lost a drive in transit (due to damage). Maybe a coincidence, but when a documentary show is saved on a HDD, it's a very valuable HDD. There is no reshooting that stuff. fortunately somebody in the location office made the decision to have a local backup. 

I'm a Glyph drive user and have never had a complaint. On production I use the Solid State Portagig drive 128GB and I have never had a problem. It mounts everytime to my 788T and 744T unlike some other drives. They have a great warranty but they aren't cheap. You get what you pay for though. I have had it all over the world in pretty harsh conditions and it has gotten so hot that it has burned me. It has never failed ever and continues running strong. Great drive and highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingston have released a 512Gb USB thumb drive. A 1Tb version is on the way

Only problem with the Kingston 512GB THumb drive is the price.  It is about $800 for the 512GB.  

And probably more than $1500 for the 1 TB when it becomes available.

Cheaper 240GB SSDs at about $200 would be a better choice and just as rugged