Weekly, Weekend G+ Hangouts Celebrate One Year of Sound BS

Jan McL

Have been reminded that we've been hanging out together every weekend for a year.

A year. Well, a bit more than a year, but have never been good at hitting anniversaries on the day.

Plan to pour a glass later in celebration.

It's been a successful endeavor, for I've made deeper friendships with colleagues than I ever thought possible, and my professional life is more rich as a result. Dare say I'm not alone in that conclusion.

Good for us.

+1 and a big thank you to Jan for discovering Google Hangout and her relentless encouragement, inviting us all in and remindingus of the importance of social interaction. All this online stuff, including JWSOUND, will never be a substitute for face to face, in the same room interaction, but if we use these things wisely and creatively I think it can enrich our lives.

Hey, Chris. Sorry you feel you missed out.

If you want to be notified (reminded) of the hangouts, add me to your circles on G+ or join JWSoundgroup Facebook page. I send out notices on the day from those two places.

Here's a link to my G+ profile:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/112256219488041081305/posts

Here's the persistent link to the hangout that anyone can use to hang out, any time:

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/d8536fc133c820bdc31603c7b8d4cb1814210d64?authuser=0&hl=en-US

I dragged the hangout link to my browser's toolbar for easy access.

Hope to see you soon!

• 10 months later...

It's February and February 2014 marks two years getting together each weekend to talk in digital person about this thing we do.

Have (thanks to Jeff's sharing his good research) found a better delivery platform that yields a low-latency, light-weight application with a persistent, consistent methodology whence to join:

Time: this is a recurring weekend meeting that begins around 9A EST Saturday / Sunday and ends when it ends.  

Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device: 

Please click this URL to start or join. https://zoom.us/j/817979726 
    Or, go to https://zoom.us/join and enter meeting ID: 817 979 726  

Join from dial-in phone line: 

Dial: +1 (415) 762-9988 or +1 (646) 568-7788
    Meeting ID: 817 979 726 
    Participant ID: Shown after joining the meeting 
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference 

12175084516_4d1cb74465_d.jpg

12174459245_d116cdefe3_d.jpg

In the past year we've welcomed a bunch of new regulars, learned, laughed, bitched, moaned, grown, shared knowledge, experience and BS. As it should be.

Lately, we get together whenever we darned well feel like it when something comes up.

Narrowcasted this past week from the Zaxcom launch so those who couldn't be there in person could hear the news in real time.

Here's to another year!

XOXOX

Bravo Jan, really cool idea and great execution. I haven't had a chance to hop on the new model but instead I've been doing my best to meet up with other mixers IRL(in real life). Interestingly enough, while visiting Scott Farr a few weeks ago we hopped on the chat with Mr Toline, was a cool scenario. But I'll hop on there soon and catch up with yinz!

Thank you Jan! I've been trying to figure out the best way to inform and promote the re-birth of your wonderful Hangout, now the Zoom Sounderday (though you seem to have dropped the "Sounderday" name) and now I see your post which is perfect. I still wish I could discover a way within the Zoom software app to store a persistent Meeting ID so we could "dial it up" just like speed dial on as phone. Select "Join a Meeting" and have the stored Meeting ID 817 979 726 entered. Actually, just like the old days, I have almost memorized the ID so I can just type it in.

Also thank you Jan for your warm welcome since it was my first time joining you guys this last Saturday. I really enjoyed listening to everyone and all the cool topics that were discussed. Also Jan, a special thank you for taking the time to show me some of your cart hardware configuration regarding mounting antenna masts. Looking forward to doing this again ! I also was impressed with the features of the Zoom application you use to host the hangout ! Also special thanks to Whit Norris for staying on me about joining in.