Call Sheets

Thomas Popp

My closest call was when we interviewed my neighbor around the block for OWN - although I had signed the lease, I had yet to move in.

Since moving to the "hip" part of Detroit my closest call was 4 blocks for a 3 week shoot.  Once gear was brought in the boom op and myself rode our bikes to set most days (last DECEMBER!)

As far as proximity, the pilot for Low Winter Sun shot at the restaurant I share a driveway with but sadly I was not part of the filming.  A contact at the restaurant came over and said, "Some guys are here setting up, they say they know you..."

I work exactly 2.5 miles from home.  We have a couple of locations we used to use which were a bit closer, but in the last 70 days of our show, we left the immediate area of our stage three times!

And these are easy miles.  Just a couple of traffic lights and a 50mph speed limit.  Anywhere from 4-7 minutes.  And I hang my head in shame when I write I drove almost every day.

I had a 2 mile location late last year for a few days of interviews. They set up a green screen at the hotel at the top of my road, 2 miles away, one traffic light, 5 minute commute. When we took lunch break, I drove back to the house to walk the dog...very cool!

ETA: Keep in mind, this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, NC. They hired me because I list the nearest reasonably sized city on all of my internet profiles, which is about 30 minutes down the highway. When I got the call sheet, I couldn't believe it! I thought someone was messing with me or something.

I once had a production use my house as a location. 

It was for a series on HGTV. Got a free cedar fence around my backyard out of the deal.

Ironically, I usually work on that series, but I was double booked and ended up working a different show while they filmed at my house. Was kinda strange leaving one set at the end of the day and pulling up to my house which was another set.

Not quite a nearby location thing but as long as we're trading stories...

I was working a picture with Jim Wynorski some years ago and he was considering where to stage the next scene. (He often improvises as he goes along.) I put in a request that he not venture too far from the camera truck. He put up his hand and said, "wait, I'm thinking."

Then he proceeded to stage the next scene IN the camera truck.

David

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I shot a doc in my home town, production insisted I stayed in the crew hotel, quite a swanky place, all of 300 yards from my house at the time, the hotel receptionist gave me a funny look when I put my home address on the check in form. Quite a good few weeks, I could get my laundry done in the hotel, but nip home to water the plants.