I'm prepping to do an outdoor run and gun style reality shoot, and am looking for a good solution to use my SRB recievers on their EX3 cameras. In the past I've done the fanny pack setup, but this show is going to involve a lot of running through the woods, etc and I need something sturdy that won't snag on things so easily. Suggestions? Do brackets for SR receivers exist?

I appreciate your input!

Got the Loctro kit (srsleeve+srhardware) and the K-Tek plate also (fits different units).

For your SR, the Lectro kit really is a winner since it's been made for the unit and it's very solid; all metal parts. You can't go wrong.

If you're going to use 411s sometimes, or TC boxes,  the K-Tek (or more expensive Rycote) are also great ''fits all'' plates.

I use the KTek plate Rado linked with my Zaxcom receivers. You can also get hotshoe extensions (Ktek, and others, make them) in case they want to mount something else in there. 

I like to offer the plates, or some poorly mounted saddlebag (on a little camera), or a hip bag. *Most* shooters prefer the plate. It also makes it easy for you to see battery levels etc. The plates are only about $35. On a C300, I can even use the front shoe so it mounts the RX in the vertical position. 

Cool... Thanks guys! What are you using to power the SR?

I use these terrific $30 6800ma Chinese batteries available on eBay:

Lectrobattery_zpsf24f001b.jpg

You can find them at this link oneBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=5800ma+12VDC+lithium&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=6800ma+12VDC+lithium&_sacat=0

As you can see, it's almost the exact same size as the SRa/SRb in the BEC bracket. You can stick them both down with velcro and/or bongo ties. This battery typically lasts a solid 12 hours, maybe more if you turn it off on MOS takes and lunch breaks.

• 1 month later...

I use these terrific $30 6800ma Chinese batteries available on eBay:

Lectrobattery_zpsf24f001b.jpg

You can find them at this link oneBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=5800ma+12VDC+lithium&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=6800ma+12VDC+lithium&_sacat=0

As you can see, it's almost the exact same size as the SRa/SRb in the BEC bracket. You can stick them both down with velcro and/or bongo ties. This battery typically lasts a solid 12 hours, maybe more if you turn it off on MOS takes and lunch breaks.

Awesome!! Was just trying to find a cheaper solution today to power up my srb so thanks for sharing this!

I use this maximal power sony knock off batteries on my SR camera link they work great and easily power my SR 10 hours I usually change out at lunch to be safe but for $9.75 on Amazon for the battery and $9.00 for a cheap charger it is a great value for the cost. I have had 2 of these batteries for 9 months with zero issues and they hold a charge a long time when they sit too 

http://www.amazon.com/Maximalpower-SON-NP-F550-InfoLithium-CCD-TR516/dp/B001FA0B2Q/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1366660639&sr=8-9&keywords=maximal+power+sony

• 2 months later...

I've had some experience with the Chinese lithium batteries on eBay. I was considering using one for this purpose but the one I've got seems pretty iffy when it comes to charging and I'm not to sure about its capacity either.

There seems to be a few of these types of units on the market at the moment, geared mostly towards smartphone users. I've found some Energizer ones will give out 12v on a DC socket as well as 5v on a USB socket. The small one has an 8000mAh capacity and the larger one 18000mAh. The large one will supply 16-20v on a third socket too.

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp8000a/index.html

http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/us/products/xp18000a/index.html

Bit more expensive than the eBay options though....

I've had some experience with the Chinese lithium batteries on eBay. I was considering using one for this purpose but the one I've got seems pretty iffy when it comes to charging and I'm not to sure about its capacity either.

Agreed -- the chargers are the weak point on the Chinese eBay batteries. I have four batteries and four chargers, and some chargers light up when they're done, some don't. I've pushed them to 12 hours with no problems, but I usually turn them off during meal breaks. They definitely can deliver 9800mA, judging by the 120mA @ 12VDC spec on the SRb. I rotate them daily and generally keep them topped off. 

The Energizers look pretty good, but just one costs $160 on Amazon. I'm positive I spent a lot less than that on the four Chinese batteries. 

The Energizers look pretty good, but just one costs $160 on Amazon. I'm positive I spent a lot less than that on the four Chinese batteries. 

Didn't think they were that expensive. I found the smaller one for £60 for sale in the UK (around $90) but yes it's considerably more than the eBay batts so see your point.

Edited by Matt Morris

Just ordered one of the 6800mah 12 v off eBay for $20! Looks really interesting. Zaxcom Rx on EX1 or 3. And simpler than L or M series battery sled.

Yikes! That's less than I paid for it. I get the impression there's a lot of "flexibility" in their pricing. Be sure to get more than one -- I'm suspicious these things will hold up. But I've gotten two years of use of one pair of them, and then bought a second pair of batteries which I use in rotation. Zero failures yet. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...