Let's talk video monitoring for a minute.

RPSharman

Resurrecting this thread as I'm in the market for new monitors and there are quite a few new options since this was last discussed (that i could find). The ergonomics of my cart are such that a small battery powered option would be best if possible. I tried the newer Small HD AC7 SDI, but unfortunately it sprayed a horrendous amount of RF. Basically, when i turned it on all my receivers showed full signal without any of my tx powered. After i sent it back, i realized i should have tested it running off of AC as well. I bought some super cheap Cannon knock off battery's and thought maybe they could have been part of the problem. Anyhow, anyone having success with these or others?

Small HD 502

Small HD AC7

ikan Vx7

ikan D7

ikan D5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my cart I use the Blackmagic duo, but I also have a Liliput monitor, this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AF68T5C/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1435475674&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=lilliput+monitor+sdi&dpPl=1&dpID=41TEECwL8oL&ref=plSrch

it's takes various camera batteries, like the Sony NP-F and has a 4-pin XLR DC input, too.And it has SDI input and output, plus various analog inputs. Quite a useful monitor

Edited by Constantin

I used an Ikan VX7 for several years and was generally happy with it, but the cardboard-ish glare shield is a must to make the LCD screen more visible. None of them really get bright enough outdoors -- it's a bit of a pain.

Sounds like I should've done a bit more testing before sending mine back. It's good to hear some others had success with it. I think i'm going to give the 502 a shot. I like the size/form factor for a bag based cart.

Constantine- I like the price point of the Lilliput. How is the build quality? My main concern is the threading used to mount to a clamp/arm. Metal/plastic?

I've seen Marshall video monitors recommended by many for their versatility, and being better than Blackmagic.
http://www.marshall-usa.com/

Though I'm using a TV-Logic myself which does underscan (for really seeing those frame edges) better than anything else I've tried, but is too complicated in many respects for what I need.
Think I'd investigate the Marshall's thoroughly if I was buying again.

Edited by pindrop

The Ikan Md7 has been a great Hi Brite performer for Fury.

Fury is looking forward to receipt of the OSEE field monitor kit next week:

http://www.oseedirect.com/accessories.html

This would house the LCM 156 Monitor here:

http://www.oseedirect.com/shop.html

Might be a bit larger than one would want, but allowing LUTS and being 10bit, at this price point...interesting.

Thank you very much

Fury

Constantine- I like the price point of the Lilliput. How is the build quality? My main concern is the threading used to mount to a clamp/arm. Metal/plastic?

build quality is a concern. The case is mostly plastic, but so far it's been holding up ok. But I've only used it for 40 days maybe. It comes with a foldable hood which breaks very easily, but can also be repaired easily with tape. I mounted it with a TrewAudio Ultraclamp and this works well. The nut where you screw in the clamp is metal and so far has not come loose. The monitor is very light and could even be mounted on a bag if need be. 

mine got delivered from China which took longer than I liked, but still less than two weeks. 

I have had two 7" Marshall's fail and no response from the manufacturer to my enquiries for support. The Marshall's were difficult to mount from the side as they have beveled side and top edges. There is a mounting kit available that has screw in blocks with ⅜' threads in them for side mounting but his just makes the whole assembly wider.  The Marshall's had better image quality the my current Blackmagic Duo.