What Plugins to complete my restoration bundles

Tuhiva

Hello everybody,

Part of my job is doing post mixing for documentaries. I've already own the Waves X bundles, Z noize and Isotope RX advanced. I now mainly use Isotope RX and from time to the waves X bundles. I wanted to know if any of you have tried or use the waves noise suppressor (WNS) and if you think that it would be a good addition to my restoration plugins?

by the way I am not a big fan of Z noise so I am looking for something more in the Izotope denoise side.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I've found the Waves WNS to be a fantastic noise reduction plugin. It makes use of a threshold to sense dialog, or whatever your audio source is, over the background noise, and filters that reduce gain. I've never used a Cedar DNS, but I suspect it is very similar.

Mark O.

For my experience , Cedar > WNS > Izotope > Z noise

Cedar always did the best sound and smooth , even u elimating some diag freq, actually it keep it naturally .

WNs is the quickest one and effectively , i do it with same logic with Cedar , but however not smooth and natural sound as Cedar

Izotope is most powerful software i guess , every actual ,precise adjustment can be made but for over all denoise , time consuming , But always save my life in some critical 1 take thing.

Z noise good for deal with some constant noise , refrigerator , air con  , HMi ....... But not gd for changing noise background.

This is all my experience so far and i do denoise with WNs frist , if needed izotope .... (No having Cedar but hv little experienced and discuss with cedar user.

I recently messed around with the demo of Unveil.  It is now on my list of plugins to purchase, specifically for a documentary I have coming up.  It did not make things perfect, but it brought speech from unintelligible to completely intelligible which is great for docs.  It is for a pretty specific problem, but it handles that problem pretty well.

http://www.zynaptiq.com/unveil/

Keep your eye on Zynaptiq. Unveil does a terrific job with room reverb once you get used to its UI, and assuming you still do the normal tuning out of any booming nodes first. Nothing else like it right now... completely different process from the normal expansion we sometimes use to kill reverb tails.

It doesn't turn a hard-walled room into a studio, but it sure makes it sound nicer.

If we're really lucky, Zynaptiq will start applying their approach to other common dialog issues...

I'm jealous of all the neat tools the people working in post get to use! Thankful, as well, that they have all these tools and know how to use them. I have not had a lot of experience using some of these things but I'm posting a screenshot of UNVEIL because I think it's pretty cool.

post-1-0-43587400-1362164246_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the answers, I did not know about Unveil, looks like a very interesting tool and not that expensive. Concerning WNS, I've got a 240 vouchers from Waves, that is why I was interesting in purchasing it in the first place. Yeah John you're right I might just demo WNS to hear what it sounds like.

Its a personal thing and definitely depends on the skill of the operator and familiarity of the processor. I have and use the Izotope/Waves/Cedar software. I consistantly use the Izotope software much more than the others ( It just seems to work for me ) and I absolutely could not be without  "spectral repair". I depend on it now and find it very fast at specific cleanup jobs.

SPL De-Verb is also not bad ( sometimes ) at minimizing nasty room ring. However as with most processors it takes a bit of time to know how far to push.

Unveil looks very interesting.. very usefull

Unveil is pretty cool, but I find myself always preferring the original "wet" sound to the Unveiled sound, even if the treated clip works better for the film.  I'm not sure why this is, other than my lack of skill with it: the results sound kind of "DSP" to me.  I like the Toneboosters plugs--really good deal for R128 metering, EQ etc.  

philp

Unveil is pretty cool, but I find myself always preferring the original "wet" sound to the Unveiled sound, even if the treated clip works better for the film.  I'm not sure why this is, other than my lack of skill with it: the results sound kind of "DSP" to me.  I like the Toneboosters plugs--really good deal for R128 metering, EQ etc.  

philp

I'm a huge Unveil fan. I gave the developer some grief because of how overbearing the demo was at first (made it almost unusable), but he was gracious and quick to fix it. 

I became a full price customer (having appropriately missed the launch sale price what with my whining and all - serves me right.)

I agree with you fully though; while it will work very well to kill verb and deaden sound (to an astonishing extent) the audio quickly develops a very processed sound. It's not as discernible in a mix or in a built up scene, but on it's own (depending how much might have been required and/or used) there's a distinctive audio footprint I don't "love." The presence processing is both a blessing and a curse.

Having said that, between it and RX2 Advanced they're my go-to tools for restoration. I haven't tried WNS and Cedar is out of my league. The Deconstruction option has, on a few occasions, something that saved the day and De-Clipping function is wonderful for that client that had a "camera guy" do the sound too (here's my nod to those two frustrating threads of late.)

I do a fair amount of location recording for radio and radio/style docs and it can be a life saver when you just have to go with the room you've been provided even if it's a closet with four bare walls. 

Crazy how quickly a tool can become "essential."