I will be posting an iOS version update very soon, with a number of new features:

- Substantially faster calculation (for the supporting of more transmitters and for future customization options)

- Disable transmitter feature

- Custom TX Types, implemented via our brand new

- Import / Export feature

Here's the deal with Import and Export: for right now it is implemented only using the built in Mail app, so you need to be configured to use the built in Mail app. I looked into the Gmail app; it is not possible to use the gmail app to open an attached file inside of another app.

Turns out, it's not very user friendly in general to get files into and out of apps. The only other built in option is Apple's app file sharing which requires you to use iTunes on a computer. I didn't think that was very user friendly. If nothing else, I'll probably incorporate Dropbox file sharing in there in the future.

Also, the import feature is moderately smart. While you can simply add all of the imported transmitters to the current or new list, I imagine people will want to be synchronizing lists frequently. For that purpose, each transmitter is assigned a UUID. Transmitters therefore can be updated with new information with each import. Granted, it is not as sophisticated as perhaps a cloud sharing service, but that's a conversation for another time...

I have created a new file format called ".ffx". It is an xml document. It can be opened with a text editor (on a computer) and is human readable. And you are free to edit these files to create custom transmitters and custom transmitter types with custom channel lists. The file format should be mostly self explanatory, and I've done my best to make these files pretty idiot proof, but I fully anticipate that with enough people tinkering, somethings will go wrong.

And as usual, I am (relatively) immediately accessible to work through whatever problems you have, and I want all of your input to continue to make the app better.

And as usual, the Android version is behind on the programming. A lot of work went into these new features, and it will take time to implement them in the Android version. However the priority is the Import / Export, and since we don't have to wait a week or more to update, I'll post the new features incrementally.

Cheers,

James

Wow -- I continue to be impressed by how much James stays on top of the development of this thing. I use it all the time, and it's a godsend in certain situations. For example, if I have to swap out or check a transmitter for some reason, all I have to do is whip out the phone to reset a new transmitter to know the frequency, rather than run back to the cart and look at the receivers. 

Update has been submitted to iTunes. Current average approval time is 6 days. Also, I got the urge to add another simple but interesting feature: the add transmitter button will now choose the next highest compatible channel available (instead of a default channel). 

I didn't put this in before because it deemphasizes the idea that this is not an automated channel selection system. The channels that FreqFinder selects are not necessarily the best channels to use, they are just channels which are compatible with your other channels. Frequency selection should always be based on scans and tv station data as well as compatibility.

Anyway, I'm excited for you guys to try it and see what you think.

Sincerely,

James

Hey James, thanks for the great work. Bugs happen, but oddly enough with all those purchasing problems I had... This bug hasn't shown itself to me. Wild, eh?

How is purchasing looking for you now? I changed something that I thought might be affecting it. But I have no way of testing on a device configured like yours.

• 2 weeks later...

FreqFinder 2.13 is available and should fix the major issues that have been plaguing us for the past few weeks. I'd like to hear from anyone still having problems.

I'd also like to hear from people who have gotten to use the import / export. Has anyone started sharing lists?