JoeCo Recorder

Timlin

I looked at the JoeCo boxes when I was asked to record four music artists for a two day shoot. I ended up buying the Behringer X32 and recording straight into Pro Tools. The console gave me some powerful routing capabilities and it really sounds excellent with the Midas pres. It provides 32 mic pres, 32 tracks into Pro Tools with barely any setup, and a host of other features. At $3000 the console is a steal. A small footprint too.

The JoeCo is definitely a nice box and I see the attraction: small size, high track count, LTC, reliable. All the things we like in our location gear.

Mark O.

Mark,

I believe the clock source that Peter is referring to is the Sample Clock not the TC although I would be feeding it external TC anyway.  Using a Denecke SB-3 or Ambient equivalent would get the job done.  Although one would hope that if you were using this on a job that  it would warrant a solid master clock system that was feeding everything in the house for all sync needs.

The JoeCo is cheap, small, virtually weightless, simple, and more or less bulletproof.  It sort of just works.  My recent sessions have been to 32 GB USB sticks, so no moving parts.  I roll a 2 mix off the console onto a 744T, and it provides the TC and AES feed to clock the JoeCo.  A fair slate of CDs now recorded this way, and a lot of dialog too.  The keyboard input for naming etc w/ the ixml option works well once you get used to it, as with SD data input from a keybd.  There is a provision for one JoeCo to start another, and so on if you want.  There are digital input versions (MADI+DANTE) that go to 64 channels of recording, still in 1 RU.  The recorder runs on DC, so a DC-cart power solution could be done for it (its PSU is 20vdc, but the manual says it will run 7-15v ok).   The metering isn't great in multitrack mode, although there is now a mode that allows using the whole LED panel for 2 channels at a time--very high rez (I never use this).  I can do a very compact rig with the JoeCo if I want--just some pres and the recorder, up to a full up analog console.  If you like digital consoles there are AES versions too.  The interface isn't for everyone, and it doesn't have SD-tank like chassis build quality--it's designed to sit in a rack pretty much.  But I've been having a great run with it, post my laptop/firewire rigs.  I don't see it as a sub for a baggable, car-rigable etc recorder like a SD or Zax, mostly because it needs peripherals to make TC and clock for it, but on a cart, esp on a stage or in a touring rack it rocks really well.

Here are 3 pics of some JoeCo rigs I've made: one on the Carte d'Amore (small dialog sound cart) with a small mixer etc, another with a small music etc rig with a 16 in console and outboard pres, and a 3rd with a larger console (32 in) and more outboard pres.

philp

post-17-0-13448400-1362464086_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-37717400-1362464115_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-15857200-1362464635_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at the JoeCo boxes when I was asked to record four music artists for a two day shoot. I ended up buying the Behringer X32 and recording straight into Pro Tools. The console gave me some powerful routing capabilities and it really sounds excellent with the Midas pres. It provides 32 mic pres, 32 tracks into Pro Tools with barely any setup, and a host of other features. At $3000 the console is a steal. A small footprint too.

The JoeCo is definitely a nice box and I see the attraction: small size, high track count, LTC, reliable. All the things we like in our location gear.

Mark O.

Did you use ASIO/firewire? PT saw the X32 as an interface? Thanks!