I need some basic advice for setting levels through my chain of devices!

richisgame

Hi All,

I'm new here, as well as to audio recording, and I need some help!

Here is my setup. 

1. Audio-Technica  ATW-1811D - 1800 Series Portable Wireless Microphone System

2. DVPro 3 Field Mixer

3. M-Audio MicroTrack II - Professional 2-Channel Mobile Digital Audio Recorder 

4. Sony mdr 7506 Headphones.

For the sake of simplicity, I will leave out the use of limiters in any of the devices.

I will also limit my question to audio recording through my wireless system, as a boom mic setup offers one less variable. 

And, although all components have at least two channels, (the Mixer has three…), lets only consider the settings for one.

Also, as the Transmitter in the wireless system does not have any input or output settings, it will be left out of the mix.

For brevity the components will be called: WiFi-Receiver, Mixer, Recorder.

Again, what I need to know is the most basic procedure to set my levels through this chain of devices.

Here are my components and their variables: (pics, included below.)

The WiFi-Receiver, has outputs called, "Receiver Level Controls," with un-numbered knobs that turn between the 7-5pm "clock positions.

The Mixer, has "Channel Gain," numbered knobs that can be set between 1-10. It also has led meters, ranging form -20 to 3.

The Recorder has "Levels," inputs for both L & R channels that can be set independently, but for the sake of argument lets stick to only one. 

The levels are set with an up down switch, and are indicated  on the lcd by a 10 notched line, which is not numbered.

My base understanding is the Wifi-Receivers Output, should light up the Mixers led meters, no higher than 0db at their peak, ideally somewhere in the -10 to -1 "green," range.

When I have, to the best of my ability, set up the levels between the Receiver and Mixer to achieve this, I find that I must set the levels on the Recorder extremely low, perhaps the second notch at most, or I hear audible distortion on the headphones, (regardless of it's, "volume," [audio out], settings.)  Is it OK that the recorders levels would be set that low?

I know there can be many variables that can influence each location, but what I am looking for is a starting point to set the prospective levels of each device along the chain, to achieve the best possible recording, from which I can then tweak from.

If someone can please tell me basically how to set each components levels, and in what order, I would be most grateful!

Thanks in advance.

Rich

What you want to do, essentially and very simplified, the "strongest" (meaning the signal should not be too low, to not introduce noise in any of the other chains, or too high to not introduce any distortion in any of the other chains). 

So to test you need to; 

Plug the mic you wanna use on the transmitter, set sensitivity accordingly

Check the level coming from the transmitter to the receiver.

Check the level coming from the receiver to the mixer. 

Check the level coming from the mixer to the recorder. 

You wanna make sure your levels on the recorder are not distorting at any lever higher than -1 dB; the top is 0 dB, you can't go any further than that. If you're distorting before that level, your signal chain needs to be revised. 

The most crucial part of your chain is the transmitter/receiver stage. If that signal is clear and good and without distortion, the next steps should be "easy". 

Start out by going low, slowly raising the gain to a suitable level. This is why we say "1 2 1 2"... To see when our inputs distort and which level setting gives us enough headroom. You should be able to foresee what dynamic range your signal needs to be in. If your "element" is going to be going from silent to loud or just be in an even level. 

Practice, practice, practice. There is no fact to sound. No numbers to make it perfect. You need to do the testing. 

And good luck!

Who is going to tackle this one? As specific and detailed as your description of the equipment you are using, I am at a loss as to where to start. I am not even vaguely familiar with the Audio-Technica  ATW-1811D wireless (which I cannot believe is a WiFi - 2.4 ghz system as you have decided to call it) and somewhat perplexed by the use of the word "professional" for a transmitter that has no input gain setting! That missing input gain setting on the transmitter is where all of this gain issue has to begin. I have to say, rather than relying on someone here typing out any meaningful series of steps you should be taking, I would suggest that you seek out some person, face to face, who has had experience doing whatever sot of recording you are about to undertake. 

From the manual of the transmitter:

"Correct adjustment of transmitter audio input, receiver audio output, and mixer/amplifier input

and output levels is important for best performance.
A 5-position audio input gain setting, selected through the function menu, allows you to match
the audio input level to the transmitter for best modulation with minimum distortion.The choices
are +18, +12 dB, +6 dB, 0 dB and -6 dB.The default value is +6 dB. Select the highest setting
that does not result in over-modulation with the highest audio/instrument input levels (an AF
indication on the receiver no higher than “0”)."

That's also something you should do, if you haven't... Read the manuals. 

Hi and Welcome...

this is a forum of working professionals, and while we are glad to help (yes, I said that!) remember the old adage: "Your Deity helps those who help themselves"

so, you need to do some studying --start with Jay Rose's books at www.dplay.com

you need to do some searching;  the search here is wonky, but if you do a google search, use jwsoundgroup.net as your first search term you will get good results... trying various search terms.

and above all (as mentioned) RTFM

" as the Transmitter in the wireless system does not have any input or output settings, "

see, you started off with a really bad mis-information and also demonstrated that you have not yet done your homework (as in RTFM!) which may not endear you to professionals...

" but what I am looking for is a starting point to set "

I get the feeling you didn't even read the quick-start guides! I'd call that lazy.

" Is it OK that the recorders levels would be set that low? "

maybe,  it depends...

Oh, you already know: " there can be many variables "

" WiFi-Receiver "

BYW...

Attention B&H shoppers...

you have no WiFi receiver in the setup you described, only entry level "semi-pro" equipment --which is capable of satisfactory results.

After, or perhaps before reading the manuals, you might want to read or watch a good book or video. Here's a collection of books I hear are OK:

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Books-and-Videos.html

Also check out Jay Rose's great books (disclosure: I helped a little bit with the first edition of his first book):

http://dplay.com/book/index.html

And check through previous discussions on this board for other recommended books. There are many:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=books+site:jwsoundgroup.net&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

That's also something you should do, if you haven't... Read the manuals. 

Very true. Every time I buy a new piece of equipment, I clear out an entire afternoon, usually on the weekend, and sit down with the device and the manual and go through every single page and every single menu to figure it out. 

For the O.P.: here's many good books on sound discussed in these previous discussions:

Gain staging is of critical, critical importance. 

Jan has made an extraordinary offer you ought to seriously consider...

Had you shopped at one of our nearby "usual suspects" you would have gotten a lot of excellent advice, and customer service at no additional cost (like help getting it set up, help finding needed accessories, etc).

Jan has made an extraordinary offer you ought to seriously consider...

Had you shopped at one of our nearby "usual suspects" you would have gotten a lot of excellent advice, and customer service at no additional cost (like help getting it set up, help finding needed accessories, etc).

++1, and the advice from the Senator and everyone posting on your thread.  You are in Brooklyn.  The guys at Pro-Sound can really help you.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond back.
I got all jammed up...

And, thank you all so much for all your helpful advice, and links. 

I am reading up, and watching every applicable video on the subject I can find.

And special thanks to Jan for her wonderful offer. (I am PM'ing you.)

Best to all.

Rich