Lavalier on Chef

Alan Gerhardt

Then on the stove there will frequently be something bubbling/frying/boiling, etc all very noisy.

If not at the stove the chef will probably be chopping or dicing something, again quite noisy. And if he isn't, soneone else will be.

Most likely, the chef will be looking down a lot, at the work at hand, so again the boom is pretty useless. At a stove, you will have to get right between the extractor and the stove, which is no place for a sensitive mic. Stoves get hot, boiling water may splash, and hot oil from a pan can and will leap for your mic.

Lav is your best and only viable option.

I do take an M/S rig along to kitchen shoots, however. It's great to be able to record the kitchen atmosphere in stereo and you can boom the chef's on-cam comments with it.

A good reason why the lav is so good because the chef is close to the cooking.  Of course when he walks away it goes away but usually he'll stay there for the noisy bits when he's not talking.  Flipping food in the pan.  Special tricks dicing.  His/Her mic does all the work on those point too.

I find the MS an interesting choice.  I would have never thought of that but in this day and age of all shows going 5.1 it gives the post guys an interesting potential place to work with.  Even a hint in the overall 2 channel mix with the chef up the middle is interesting.

Would this MS mic be planted?

No, it's on my boom. I tend to stay a bit behind the camera. I just hold the boom up straight and record the ambiance, and when it seems suitable, I'll boom the chef, either killing the S channel first, or let post deal with it. For 5.1 I have taken a double M/S rig. Same deal really, if you have the tracks

No, Senator, I'm talking about a real commercial kitchen.

And if you have the time, I, for one, would like to hear more details.

Would also appreciate it if you can share, via PM if you want, the names of any show of his kind you have worked on, especially if I can find clips on YouTube/Vimeo.

Thanks Constantin.

And if you have the time, I, for one, would like to hear more details.

Would also appreciate it if you can share, via PM if you want, the names of any show of his kind you have worked on, especially if I can find clips on YouTube/Vimeo.

Thanks Constantin.

Like what details do you mean? I don't have any videos. It's not like I'm doing kitchen stuff all the time, sorry if it came across that way. but I did work on two corporate videos in kitchens. one was for a catering company. They were both shot doc-like. i haven't found either video on their websites. it wasn't very exciting stuff. Using an M/S rig is a pretty standard way for me whenever I'm working on docs. It's a very simple way to have a proper boom mic and a decent stereo mic all in one basket. No fumbling around when you want to record a stereo track. The problem is when there is no sound post as editors usually don't have a clue what to do with an unmatrixed MS recording. But I can't record it as stereo, because I need the boom mic on its own in case I need to record an ad-hoc statement or whatever. In the field, double MS works almost the same, except you can only monitor front or back. and since most recorders and mixers only allow you to monitor MS in pair, you have to forgo listening to the rear pair. All this MS stuff is probably for another thread...

• 3 months later...

Anyone here work on Master Chef?

I saw an episode last night (never saw it before then) and I must say I'm very impressed with how clean everything sounded. All mics hidden, multiple wardrobe from different talent / hosts. Lots of wardrobe changes for episodes. Pretty impressive to hide all mics 100% and have zero scratching whatsoever. No scratching from aprons, dress shirts, nothing. The only mic I saw the entire episode was a COS-11 in a tie knot and that was it. Everything else I couldn't find.

Bravo to whomever is working on the show. I'd love to work on a show like that one day.

I find the MS an interesting choice.  I would have never thought of that but in this day and age of all shows going 5.1 it gives the post guys an interesting potential place to work with.  Even a hint in the overall 2 channel mix with the chef up the middle is interesting.

MS is a tricky thing in 5.1 post because of the down-mix matrix.  I have never used it because it causes too many headaches.  I have recorded some field FX, but I always print them to XY before finishing the edit.  I would not be happy receiving MS files from production on a 5.1 TV mix because I would have to (waste) time printing to XY.

Anyone here work on Master Chef?

Had a few seasons to get it ironed out, to sort out rigs. On MC the "kitchen" is done studio-style recorded to ProTools types rig. The "house" and "challenges" are ENG style. Post always has clean tracks to work with (where needed) if they have time to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is when there is no sound post as editors usually don't have a clue what to do with an unmatrixed MS recording. But I can't record it as stereo, because I need the boom mic on its own in case I need to record an ad-hoc statement or whatever.

Had this same problem, I searched for ages and recently came across this mic from pearl. Ticks all the boxes on paper, still waiting to listen to it though.