Sanken CS-3e For Indoor Dialogue Good Choice?

coreyishere

I had a good result in a dialogue between two actresses sitting at a table in a kitchen using a Neumann 82i.

In all other internal dialogues instead I used the classic Schoeps CMC641, even in highly reverberant environments, such as a staircase in a Renaissance palace.

Sergio.

No.

Put a lid on that conversation starter quickly!

Seriously though, this stinks of Zoom + Oktava/used 416 + enthusiastic and interested friend/student to help out. Get a basic film audio book (e.g. Ric Viers Location Sound), try to schedule a test day before shooting to work out the problems and figure it all out, slate everything properly and accept the extra workflow in post. Buying into expensive equipment that you don't know how to use is probably going to give you worse results, more headaches and empty pockets, especially if you blow it all on a single microphone that you might never use again - or never use at all if your intention is to plug it straight into your DSLR.

"I know I might not seem like I know what I am doing but I promise you my movie will have good sound. I will make sure it does. Any other tips and im grateful."

Only one other tip: stop asking questions here, today, and start DOING something. If the "something" is going to Bel-Air Camera and buying a microphone when you don't yet have anything to plug it into (but  you know you can return it for a small re-stocking fee), or the "something" is asking your friend if HE knows anything about recording sound for picture, or if the "something" is finding some other online forum with people who are even more patient with this endless stream of pointless questions...  just do something!

Any more posts here risk this topic being shut down so be careful.

"I know I might not seem like I know what I am doing but I promise you my movie will have good sound. I will make sure it does. Any other tips and im grateful."

Only one other tip: stop asking questions here, today, and start DOING something. If the "something" is going to Bel-Air Camera and buying a microphone when you don't yet have anything to plug it into (but  you know you can return it for a small re-stocking fee), or the "something" is asking your friend if HE knows anything about recording sound for picture, or if the "something" is finding some other online forum with people who are even more patient with this endless stream of pointless questions...  just do something!

Any more posts here risk this topic being shut down so be careful.

And so says the host! 

Hi, and welcome...

I get the feeling that you are not a professional production sound mixer, or movie sound mixer, which is the makeup of this professional group; that's OK.

But I have to agree with Richard Van Dyke, in post #4...

I also get the feeling that vyou joined this group just to ask the initial question, but did not have the good sense to do some reading around, and some searching to see what has already been said on  your question....  and you didn't do much in the way of an introduction, either...

perhaps not the greatest beginning here...

" I guess I need a mic that has good "range" so to speak. As in one that picks up good audio when its not directly pointed towards the actors. "

It isn't about the arrows, it is about the  archer...

but reading further... (sorry, I got here late)

This will not endear you to your actors, if there's anything an actor hates more than a "line reading" it's being told to stand, or sit, still within the frame. "

not a problem, these aren't really actors. wannabe's, maybe, but beginners at best...

" I figured if he could do this with the zoom hn4 maybe I could do it with another mic? "

the Sanken mic you mention costs about $1000 more than the Zoom...

money you could put towards other things, like a sound crew.

" Does it produce good enough sound "

" are {you} saying this will give me good sound? "

it depends...

but remember, it isn't about the clubs, it is about the golfer.

Tiger Woods could shoot a better round with cheap clubs than most hackers, who wouldn't shoot any better than their usual, even if they had his clubs!

" How did the Middle Eastern guy in the last video I posted get such good sound with the h4n and ntg2? "

maybe he had someone with some experience on the project..??

you keep trying to make it about the equipment.

in fact, trying too hard!

" I am really learning here and feel like my future is bright. "

I too get the feeling you know more than you are letting on, --and having some sort of fun with us, or else you haven't a clue, and don't really want to get one!

Edited by studiomprd

Hi,

I am making a short film and it is filmed in a small room with carpet. I was wondering if the Sanken CS-3e is a good mic for this? I hear great things about this mic.

I know this sounds crazy but I don't even have a sound guy. The film mostly takes place on a couch so I figure I could "prop" the boom stick up and position the mic evenly right between the 2 actors sitting on the couch.

I guess I need a mic that has good "range" so to speak. As in one that picks up good audio when its not directly pointed towards the actors. I am leaning towards the Sanken CS-3e but still am confused. Any help guys? Thanks

Lavs can complicate things even more.  Just give your mic on a "boom stick" a try and see what happens.  

Also, finding sound people you can grow with is another good option.  Someone with a bit more experience than you may be willing to work for a reduced rate if you are loyal, refer them, and help them get another gig in the future.

best of luck

I'm having a similar reaction to a few of the people responding. This feels like a prank.

I can't justify a reasonable answer with advice to this person because no matter what anyone has been saying it has nearly been the same reaction from him.

Just because it's not audioguy doesn't mean it's not someone else pulling our legs. Or pulling hair in my case.

I didn't like the sound much in either of the first two shorts you posted, Corey. I did like the music in the magical one. The music in the first one was used to help cover up the poor quality sound. In my opinion...

Forget the 'story" here for a moment, a few "knowledgeable" posters said NOT to use the CS3e indoors... bullshit, you can use that mic indoors and it will sound fine... I don't know what your talking about....  Are there better mics, sure... is it the best mic... No.. will it work... can it work? yes..

Especially on a "project of this type...  (if it exists)... who cares...?  He was discussing a Zoom on a table for goodness sake...

The best idea you've had yet is to plug some mic into your zoom, and get someone who cares about audio to follow the action with the mic on a boom pole or whatever.  They should be able to hear what they are doing, ie wear headphones, re hand noise and learning (quickly) what on-mic and off-mic dialog sounds like.  You will not get really great results, but if your friend holding the pole is attentive and committed (ie a real friend) then it will be ok.  Make sure your friend knows how to operate the zoom.  Understand the limitations of your crew and your gear and don't ask them to do what they cannot do.  Keep it simple.

philp

Hold on a minute guys, I have to make some more popcorn.

thpop1.gif

what about wearing lav mics? Is that an option for a film or not?

Yes, that can work -- but bear in mind that lavs create additional problems with clothing noise, positioning, wireless interference, coordinating frequencies, battery life, wind noise, and so on. And good wireless systems are not inexpensive for rental, particularly if the o.p.'s project is 15 days. If you wind up with a scene that has six or seven (or more) speaking parts, it's a real challenge miking everybody up, recording them all on multitrack, and making them all sound natural and real. Two people on a couch wouldn't be a problem, and there are pros and cons to wireless mics or a boom (or booms). 

There's much good advice in this thread, and I hope the main people asking the questions will take the information to heart and learn from it. The equipment alone doesn't guarantee good sound quality; it's more about where the microphones are placed, the nature of the room, the position of the actors, and all those other factors. Just keeping the sound consistent and intelligible is a huge challenge under many conditions, especially if the rest of the crew is inexperienced with making allowances for getting good dialogue.

Forget the 'story" here for a moment, a few "knowledgeable" posters said NOT to use the CS3e indoors... bullshit, you can use that mic indoors and it will sound fine... I don't know what your talking about....  Are there better mics, sure... is it the best mic... No.. will it work... can it work? yes..

Especially on a "project of this type...  (if it exists)... who cares...?  He was discussing a Zoom on a table for goodness sake...

Sure you could use the CS3e indoors. Heck back in the day when I was just starting out  I used to use a 416 for everything indoors outdoors as it was pretty much the only mic I owned and even that sounded more than good enough for the low budget shoots I was doing. This thread originally was about some guy thinking about spending $1500 on a CS3e for specifically indoor work. The advice being given was that it would he would be wiser purchasing a mic that was better suited to the task. If he already owned the CS3e and was asking if he could get away with using it indoors and would it sound good enough then I suspect most of us would have said yes it will work ok, but there are better mics out there if he had the budget to buy / rent one.

Seems like it's all moot anyway- the OP appears to be either be pulling our chains or he knows little about sound and is leading us a merry dance with his questions. He'd be better off either raising money to hire a sound mixer, or to postpone his project until he has spent some time in school, or at least taken some time to read some basic sound books  to familiarize himself with the craft.

One of the negative characteristics of the tube of interference microphones is to amplify sound reflections off-axis, typical of the reverberation of indoor environments. However, if an indoor environment has many elements that contribute to mitigate or eliminate these reflections, such as carpets, curtains, chairs, wooden ceilings-type drawers, etc.. also an interference tube microphone can be a good choice. As the Sanken CS-3e.

The best idea you've had yet is to plug some mic into your zoom, and get someone who cares about audio to follow the action with the mic on a boom pole or whatever.  They should be able to hear what they are doing, ie wear headphones, re hand noise and learning (quickly) what on-mic and off-mic dialog sounds like.  You will not get really great results, but if your friend holding the pole is attentive and committed (ie a real friend) then it will be ok.  Make sure your friend knows how to operate the zoom.  Understand the limitations of your crew and your gear and don't ask them to do what they cannot do.  Keep it simple.

philp

Hey thanks. I am actually getting the zoom wednesday morning. I have the rode ntg-2 and I will hook that into the zoom. I am going to do a lot of experimenting with this mic. I feel this is the only true way I can learn.

I am dead serious when I promise that I am not a troll. I am just new to all of this. I came into this very optimistic that's all. I can be too optimistic sometimes and then reality hits. I understand there's a lot to learn. I am grateful for all of the detailed help you guys have provided. You have no idea how much this is helping me.

I will most likely post a clip of an audio test here in a couple of days after I test it. I love learning about this and really want to figure out how to get good sound. I am sorry if I came off as a "troll" or have insulted anyone. That was not my intention. 

So I am going with the rode ntg-2 hooked into the zoom hn4. I am also getting a boom pole. Any suggestions on a decent priced boom pole for this setup with a canon 7d camera? I am very hopeful I can get quality sound with this set up and learning how to use the equipment.

Have you posted a similar thread on another forum on how to use your Canon 7D? I'd like to read that one too.

And when you get to post audio be sure to check out this fantastic sounding box. I hear it does wonders for dialogue:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/3PIII/

Mark O.

Hi,

are you being serious about that box? I have heard a lot about post production and how important it is for sound. I hope you are being serious. Does it really do wonders for dialogue?

If so is there a tutorial I could watch or something? That box is really cheap too. Thanks so much!