Denecke TS2sb not working at 24

AndyHewitson

Hey guys, Hoping for abit of help, maybe some of you have come across this problem before. I have a Denecke TS2sb that I've been using for a year or so with no problems, in the uk, so I'm always shooting at 25fps. I'm about to start a job on film shooting at 24fps so got the gear out to test it and it doesn't seem to like 24. I jam the slate in the usual way but as soon as I remove the cable the timecode stops. This only seems to happen at 24. My 788 is set to 24. I'll get in touch with the proper folk in the morning but I thought I'd check here first in case I'm missing something simple. Thanks in advance.

I've reset the late, it's odd because it seems to accept the TC at every other frame rate other thn 24, whether its the right rate or not. I've steered clear of the JAM button. This is what puzzles me because it seems to work fine in the other settings. Maybe it's time for a trip to the mother ship.

Hey guys, Hoping for abit of help, maybe some of you have come across this problem before. I have a Denecke TS2sb that I've been using for a year or so with no problems, in the uk, so I'm always shooting at 25fps. I'm about to start a job on film shooting at 24fps so got the gear out to test it and it doesn't seem to like 24. I jam the slate in the usual way but as soon as I remove the cable the timecode stops.

That sounds to me like the second switch is in SLAVE mode. Flip it the other way, and it should jam correctly. (That damned switch has a tendency to get accidentally flipped during battery replacement.)

Do you actually have 23.976 and 24 settings (listed as simply 23 or 24), or are you jamming into auto. If yours doesn't have the actual 23 and 24 settings it probably needs the factory update. On that model I think you can just send in the sync box for updating.

Also, make sure you know if they're shooting actual 24 or 23.976 (which is more common these days when shooting on digital but people still often refer to it as 24).

The original TS2b was unable to run 23.98, but it was updated. If your slate still can't accept 23.98, then it's long overdue for an update. I believe the updated slate will have 23 and 24 settings, as stated above. Non-updated slate will only have 24, and that will be true 24.

If you're running true 24 (not common, and beware if this is what they are asking for), and it still doesn't work with 788T at true 24, then it might be something else.

Either way, send it in for a visit. Too bad you're not just around the corner from them, like me.

Robert