Altiverb tips on dialog?

jgbsound

Do you guys have any favorite Altiverb tweaks you do in the dialog mix? I've been working on this feature and use it quite a big to help get the dialog cuts to blend better as well as giving it a better, more cinematic feel within the room.

But I always wonder if there's something I could be doing to help make it even better so I thought I'd ask people smarter than me!

Thanks for any advice you can share!

John

Record slate (only the "clap" from slate) from the rooms on location.

Put it on Altiverb and processing (find more info for that here).

And now you have the original reverbs from rooms on location.

Hope if that help. :)

Best

Vasileios

Just to be clear and from me. I don't have the Altiverb or work in past with that. But I know this feature you can do it with Altiverb. Now if supported or not supported in Altiverb 6 really I don't know and sorry for that.

Maybe the guys in Gearslutz knows. But I don't think so if you can do it in version 6. It's a new feature and coming with version 7. Correct me if I'm wrong.

:)

Just to be clear and from me. I don't have the Altiverb or work in past with that. But I know this feature you can do it with Altiverb. Now if supported or not supported in Altiverb 6 really I don't know and sorry for that.

Maybe the guys in Gearslutz knows. But I don't think so if you can do it in version 6. It's a new feature and coming with version 7. Correct me if I'm wrong.

:)

The Altiverb spokesguy has replied on youtube that it is possible in 6, but he didn't specify how. To Gearslutz we go!

This is a page I found regarding Altiverb 6's IR-creating abilities: 

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb/sampling/PreProcessor.html

It seems we have to use the Altiverb 6's "IR Pre-Processor" to create IRs. The PDFs listed talk about a bit. I assume the slate would be most like the "Making starter pistol IR". Strangely that pdf is not on the website but I did find it here: 

http://ebookbrowse.com/making-starter-pistol-ir-s-pdf-d61400566

One of the problems I feel is the thing called the "Input Description File" in the menu of the Pre-Processor which tells the pre-processor to expect something less accurate like a starter pistol vs. a sweep. The slate has its own characteristics I'm sure which may not be one of 6's input description files, but is in Altiverb 7. Maybe there's such a file available on the net somewhere. Or maybe we can make our own? 

I'm also a PC user waiting for Altiverb 7 (man it's taking long and no indication of the progress except "we'll tell when it's ready"). A Speakerphone 2 update to make the UI work properly with 64-bit hosts would also rock my world.

Anyway, wasn't the ability to create your own IRs for Altiverb reserved for Mac users only?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a PC user waiting for Altiverb 7 (man it's taking long and no indication of the progress except "we'll tell when it's ready"). A Speakerphone 2 update to make the UI work properly with 64-bit hosts would also rock my world.

Anyway, wasn't the ability to create your own IRs for Altiverb reserved for Mac users only?

I think the newest version (7) will be able to create your own IRs on the PC side.  

For AV6 IR creation, however, there is a cheat;  You can ask Audioease to provide you with the sine sweep audio files, so you can record your own IRs, and AV6 will analyze them for you in order to set up all the parameters needed to function properly.

That said, I have yet to record my own IRs so I can't vouch for this ability.  But its in the manual so I'm assuming it functions properly.