SD 442 - Keep the Water Out!

chris_bollard

Thanks

Yes, The Toff does indeed make camera covers, and he has been promissing since the last series of the Loser to make us all wet weather covers for our kits.

He has been blessed with a new baby, on top of our 12 hour days - result, no time to actually come up with the needed goods. Having had to pull the 442 apart and use the hair dryer twice this series I'm looking for some quick fixes. Also dumbfounded that the mixer succumbs to such as small amount of water.

I'm looked at the Audioslicker. Looks just the ticket. But no Australian distributor.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their input

Chris B

I've had the same issue with my 442 - and though I love it, in the rain sometimes I wish I had that 4 channel sonosax with the magnetic switches...

Anyway - I spend a lot of time in the rain, and a $20 Sealine map cover from an outdoors store usually does the trick  unless I'm shooting on a whitewater raft...

cheers,

Brent C

If I remember right when I had my 442 in for repair a few years ago they applied at no charge some coating over the circuit board to help protect it from moisture.  I guess my 442 was assembled prior to what is now this standard coating.  So if you have an older 442 (not sure how much older it has to be) you might not have this coating and it might be more suseptable to moisture. Does anyone else remember this upgrade?

Andy

I actually just wear a poncho over myself and the kit. I find this works better than a wet weather cover and me in separate protection, as this tends to funnel water to the back of my kit.

I got one from Boots camping for about $20 that is still going strong after about four years.

James