Blocking - Thank you

Nate C

Past few days spent on set bitching with the grip and gaffer how a film should be made. 

We gets a new 1st AD who starts the day by "OK we will do a blocking and then work through issues." A few of the crew smile. I say "Thank you". 1st says "why wouldn't we do a blocking?" I politely say thank you again and silently want to give her a hug. I can finally do my job.

I would like to thank all good 1st ADs, especially the stern but sound friendly ones.

The ones who do it right seem to be getting fewer and farther between.

I had a commercial a few weeks ago, it was the first gig in probably about 18 months that actually wanted and used a slate, and called cut. They didn't do blocking rehearsals on everything, but it was refreshing when they did that too.

It was so nice, I never wanted that production to end. 

We gets a new 1st AD who starts the day by "OK we will do a blocking and then work through issues." A few of the crew smile. I say "Thank you". 1st says "why wouldn't we do a blocking?" I politely say thank you again and silently want to give her a hug. I can finally do my job.

Geordi said: "The ones who do it right seem to be getting fewer and farther between. I had a commercial a few weeks ago, it was the first gig in probably about 18 months that actually wanted and used a slate, and called cut. They didn't do blocking rehearsals on everything, but it was refreshing when they did that too. 

It's very sad that this is becoming the norm in some parts of the business! Having a sound-aware AD makes a huge difference. Same with DPs who are smart enough to block and then light the scene so everyone is aware of the nature of the shot(s) involved.

There was a time when this business was filled with craftsmen practicing their trades. Now it seems that so many want to cut corners for time and budget constraints. When you have the time and money to do everything properly, it's like a gourmet meal after a week of Subway Tunas.