Opinions on these mics

Furias

Hey guys,

I'm recording a short this weekend and I can not rent the shotgun I normally use these days (good ole 416) as they don't have any available. They have either the NTG-3, the CS2, or the KMR-81i.

Pretty straight forward shoot (single camera, two wires). I'll be recording indoors (typical office with drop ceilings, desks, carpet, etc), as well as outdoors (rural farm, and it's a bit colder. I'm up in Ontario). This is about all the info I have on my locations as i was not on the tech scout.

Was wondering what you guys thought about the above mics as i have never used any of them. I will definitely do a shoot out of all three before I rent today, but I thought I would see what you guys had to say before I head in.

Thanks you in advance for your thoughts/advice. I'm early in my career recording for film and TV, and I love it. I know a lot of you are further down the road, so I really appreciate your time.

Cheers!

KMR 81i above the rest...way above! I suspect you will agree after you listen to them!!!! At least I hope you do ;D

Thanks. Yah I remember in school that I loved the way the Neumann mics sounded (they were all studio mics) so I'm already leaning that way just because of that experience.

I own both the 81 and the Cs2, I love both and they both come out in different situations. Generally the 81 on quite situations, the cs2 when I need more side rejection or when I'm working in Rf charged environments.  For me there is no such of a thing of "one tops the other". Phillips screwdrivers are no better than flat head screwdrivers. 

I don't like the NTg3, I call it that mic a 416 without personality, but that's just me, a lot of people love them.