Perception of Schoeps SuperCMIT 2U and recording channels

RKynaston

Christian, Simon, Stuart, Alex and Glenn: Thanks for your insight and advice on the equipment, that's what I was looking for. I'd looked at the SuperCMIT, as the sound for this work is very direction and sometimes distance, but as you say, the 416 might well be the better bet. I'll take a look. A friend who I'd spoken to yesterday, whose been a sound guy for a number of years, suggested the same name at Elstree, so that's definitely going to be a port of call before I take the next step.

Cwsound: ENG with you might be a three man crew. Where I am in Manchester, if you've got a sound guy, your a very lucky BBC cameraman! Hell, sometimes these days your lucky if your a cameraman with a reporter and not just at a news story on your own! There are many examples in the UK of reporters being given a camera and mic and doing all three jobs, classed as a video journalist!

im thinking more of a Sennheiser MKE418, with something like a Sanken WMS-5 for the outdoor surround sound

Are you talking about MKH 418 S ? If yes, I would really prefer a Cmit plus a CCM8. The SuperCMIT requires a very precise boom operator.
For the WMS5 's price I would prefer to add 2 CCM4 (or one CCM4 and one CCM41). You have a real Double MS because the WMS 5 does not give you Mf,S and Mr. If I remember well the sound is processed in the WMS mic with only two presets : narrow and large.

So you'll have a Cmit plus a real DMS mic a very nice kit for a professional sound guy.