Sad but true: I have to use a Zoom H4N as a backup recorder for my 552 because it is unreliable as a recorder.

cory

So I hate to be a griper, but I find myself in a very odd situation: I can't trust my 552. Every once in a while it messes up recording with a loud KSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH noise over 5 to 10 seconds. There is no indication of any problem while recording, I only find out when playing back the recording. The problem is not consistent, and I'm not sure how to recreate the problem at will.

So the whole benefit of the 552 is now ruined, because I still need a separate recorder anyways.

I have called Sound Devices several times and they always blame either firmware or the card. But after purchasing 3 new SD cards (brand and class recommended by Sound Devices employees over the phone) and keeping the firmware up to date, the problem happened AGAIN. And then again after another firmware update and ANOTHER new card.

It is especially frustrating because Sound Devices has a reputation for rock solid equipment. Is my unit just a lemon? Does anyone have any suggestions?

C

Why haven't you sent your machine in to SD?  If it has burned you more than twice then it is broken--it needs fixing.  You can't do this yourself, and the machine will not heal on its own.  It's a bummer but it's what you have to do--all equipment fails sooner or later.  Figure out a backup for yourself.

philp

Sound devices have great service- Once you send it in they will fix the problem. I sent in my 744t recently for a simple button replacement. Not only did they fix the button, they replaced the internal battery checked out and updated the firmware replaced the screen cover and cleaned it so that when I got it back it looked all shiny and new. Send it in- you won't regret it.

Also, the h4n is perfectly acceptable as a recorder with a quality mixer in front of it. You'd be better off with a smaller on though, like the h2n or a Marantz.. I use a zoom h4n. I'd prefer a smaller unit, but it does the job and held up very well. I've done several commercials with it and indie films.

Well... I agree, you should send it in. However if it's an intermitant problem it is questionable whether or not they will be able to fix it.

I also had some issues with my 552. It happened only once where channel 2 did not record. Fortunately I had a H4n as a back up. I also experianced a few lock ups. It seemed to always be related to the timecode input.

Tom

Thanks for the feedback!

So, I have sent it in for repair before, more than a year ago, can't remember exactly when. And it was sent back with the note that there was nothing wrong with it/they were sure it was the card's fault...

Though there were no repair costs, I had to work around not having the mixer and eat the shipping costs.

My worry is that they won't be able to figure out what's wrong...

C

I have had this problem once, and it was solved by replacing the card.  I was able, as I mention in one of the threads, to reproduce the error by recording tone for hours and hours and opening up the file and looking for the bursts in the waveform.  When I got a new card, I repeated the test and could not repeat the problem.  Do the same across a few SD cards and I bet that 1 will produce the problem and the others will not.

I wonder though...has anyone ever had a similar problem with any other Sound Devices recorders? You can hear a sample of my problem in the first thread linked to.  Many people have this problem, with many different card brands, speeds, etc. so I am not entirely convinced that it is many many bad cards.