Johnny Cash TV Show DVD

old school

Hey all you fans of music, recording, live tv, and history, check out the Johnny Cash DVD sold at Starbucks and other places I'm sure. It is a trip in the wayback machine. The 1969 show was a treasure trove of performances, live recordings and various styles, be it clothes or music. Check out the size of the mic he wears on his chest. Check out the audience at the world famous Ryman Auditorium. Hear how great it all sounded live. The video is old school sweet treat to look at. I could have many discussions concerning many of these aspects if anyone is interested.

CrewC

I just wonder where he would have gone if Rick Rubin had shown up earlier. Same for Elvis, etc. Saw Cash at a club here a bunch of years ago and it's a night I'll always remember.

I'd love to see more of this on the forum, and I'm sure I could convince one of my colleagues here in DC/Baltimore to get involved here based solely on this post.

Thanks, Crew!

JG

Look in the audience closely and you might see me (I'm the kid with the 2008 hair style). I went to one of the Cash tapings at the Ryman with a highschool music group. Fun stuff. Funny, even from way back then I remember the production mixer: Jim Malloy; probably because he lived next door to us. Malloy also tracked and mixed Cash's albums then and had a cool ski boat.

Glen Trew

Hey all you fans of music, recording, live tv, and history, check out the Johnny Cash DVD sold at Starbucks and other places I'm sure. It is a trip in the wayback machine. The 1969 show was a treasure trove of performances, live recordings and various styles, be it clothes or music. Check out the size of the mic he wears on his chest. Check out the audience at the world famous Ryman Auditorium. Hear how great it all sounded live. The video is old school sweet treat to look at. I could have many discussions concerning many of these aspects if anyone is interested.

CrewC

Wow Glen!!! that is a trip. Is Mr Malloy still with us? What a treasure of knowledge he must have, and I'm sure stories that would put us all to shame as sound mixers. It is a fun and educational DVD for me. I've watched it 5+ times now and learn something new each viewing. A lot of the sound is simple, just good players doing it in a good room, but after hearing the Grammy and other shows on the tube lately, maybe it is a lost art today. Thanks for the response, I never even dreamed anyone here might of seen the show live.

Hey Jim, I am a big fan of Rick Rubins work as well as Johnny C's... I guess everything has it's own time...  I saw Cash at JD's in Tempe, Ariz. 1972. Waylon opened and as you said, a night to remember for sure. I have a hard time picking a favorite moment on the DVD, but the version of "Ring of Fire" by Ray Charles on his 40th birthday is hard to beat. It's all good.

Thanks.

CrewC

Seems like I got the news about Jim Malloy a while back, but I can't remember for sure so I better not say. I see his son, David, every couple of days at the YMCA, so I'll ask and let you know. But he had quite a career after coming to Nashville in the last 60's, recording Elvis and the gang, producing a bunch of other stars, and even married Stella Parton (one of Dolly's sisters), who he also produced.

Early in my career (probably 1978 or so) I was mixing a TV show called "Marty Robin's Spotlight", and one of the guests was Stella Parton. It was quite a deal to have "Mr. Malloy" (as I was used to calling my older neighbor) stitting next to me, coaching me like producers do while I mixed the music live to tape. One pass, one track, no edits, a lot of fun.

Glen Trew

Wow Glen!!! that is a trip. Is Mr Malloy still with us? What a treasure of knowledge he must have, and I'm sure stories that would put us all to shame as sound mixers. It is a fun and educational DVD for me. I've watched it 5+ times now and learn something new each viewing. A lot of the sound is simple, just good players doing it in a good room, but after hearing the Grammy and other shows on the tube lately, maybe it is a lost art today. Thanks for the response, I never even dreamed anyone here might of seen the show live.

Hey Jim, I am a big fan of Rick Rubins work as well as Johnny C's... I guess everything has it's own time...  I saw Cash at JD's in Tempe, Ariz. 1972. Waylon opened and as you said, a night to remember for sure. I have a hard time picking a favorite moment on the DVD, but the version of "Ring of Fire" by Ray Charles on his 40th birthday is hard to beat. It's all good.

Thanks.

CrewC

I have the Johnny Cash TV show DVD but haven't seen it yet , but I have been listening to the CD that  comes with it ( Excellent ). The Producers notes on the back of the CD are Amazing ,a must read . Johnny demonstrates what it means to Nail a song and and never let up , on the live rendition of " A boy named sue " , a must hear !

Kevin S.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Glen!!! that is a trip. Is Mr Malloy still with us?...

CrewC

OK... I ran into Jim Malloy's son (my high school friend David Malloy, now a successful writer/producer as well) the other day at the gym. He says his dad is still around and doing well in retirement.

A google search about Jim Malloy will turn up some interesting stories that include Elvis, Chet, Johnny, and a bunch of others (Just be sure to filter out the race car driver also named Jim Mallloy). Seems like a worthy topic for a verbal history recording.

Glen Trew

Glen Trew

Hey Glen, thanks for the signpost and update on Jim Malloy. If I was a smart Nashville Cat, I would make a doc or recorded verbal history of Mr Malloy and his era for sure. We can all learn mucho from what was done then with what they had, and apply some of that to what we all do now with the new tools.  The sound speaks for it self on the best of J C DVD. I have watched he DVD 4plus times since I first posted and I am still hearing and seeing new nuggets on each pass.

CrewC

• 5 months later...

Hey Glen, thanks for the signpost and update on Jim Malloy. If I was a smart Nashville Cat, I would make a doc or recorded verbal history of Mr Malloy and his era for sure. We can all learn mucho from what was done then with what they had, and apply some of that to what we all do now with the new tools.  The sound speaks for it self on the best of J C DVD. I have watched he DVD 4plus times since I first posted and I am still hearing and seeing new nuggets on each pass.

CrewC

A while back Crew started a thread about the 1969 Johnny Cash TV Show, and I mentioned that the show’s mixer, Jim Malloy, was my neighbor when I was a kid. It was suggested that I record some interviews with him, which I mentioned to his son, David, who I run into at the local gym. David’s response was, “Well, you know has a book?”

So, last week, I had a nice visit with Jim Malloy last week (77 now, sharp as a tack). He explained that at the urgings of his family and friends he had written a book and had it printed. He had handed out a few, but never seriously pursued publishing them. When he showed me the book, I suggested there are a lot of sound pros who would be happy to buy a copy. So, after autographing my personal copy, he loaded up my car with books that are now on sale in Nashville at Trew Audio.

A brief background: His amazing career began in California in 1956 at Radio Recorders and NBC in Burbank and, as fate would have it, eventually moved to Nashville on Knobview Drive, right next to the Trews. His book is full of incredible experiences along the way, with a mixture of personal stories, technical discussions and a memorabilia collection that will make eBay-ers drool.

Anyway, his book is now available from the Trew Audio online store (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=939&cat=3&page=1) for just $19.95, and I think everyone on this group would enjoy reading it and showing it on the coffee table.

• 14 years later...
On 8/13/2008 at 12:46 PM, Glen Trew said:

A while back Crew started a thread about the 1969 Johnny Cash TV Show, and I mentioned that the shows mixer, Jim Malloy, was my neighbor when I was a kid. It was suggested that I record some interviews with him, which I mentioned to his son, David, who I run into at the local gym. Davids response was, Well, you know has a book?

So, last week, I had a nice visit with Jim Malloy last week (77 now, sharp as a tack). He explained that at the urgings of his family and friends he had written a book and had it printed. He had handed out a few, but never seriously pursued publishing them. When he showed me the book, I suggested there are a lot of sound pros who would be happy to buy a copy. So, after autographing my personal copy, he loaded up my car with books that are now on sale in Nashville at Trew Audio.

A brief background: His amazing career began in California in 1956 at Radio Recorders and NBC in Burbank and, as fate would have it, eventually moved to Nashville on Knobview Drive, right next to the Trews. His book is full of incredible experiences along the way, with a mixture of personal stories, technical discussions and a memorabilia collection that will make eBay-ers drool.

Anyway, his book is now available from the Trew Audio online store (http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=939&cat=3&page=1) for just $19.95, and I think everyone on this group would enjoy reading it and showing it on the coffee table.

https://www.trewaudio.com/articles/playback-by-jim-malloy/

the following quote is from the descriptive text on a video playback page :  https://watch.countrymusichalloffame.org/special-programs/videos/audio-engineering-society-nashville-lifetime-achievement-awards-2015

"   Jim Malloy speaks about his experience working in Los Angeles studios, including Radio Recorders and RCA Studios (where he recorded with Henry Mancini on songs like “The Pink Panther” and “Charade”).

Country Music Hall of Fame member Chet Atkins recruited Malloy to Nashville in 1965, and Malloy spent three years as an engineer at Nashville’s RCA Studio, recording Elvis Presley’s “How Great Thou Art,” among others.

Malloy shares stories of his time as an engineer on “The Johnny Cash Show,” as well as recording experiences with Townes Van Zandt and Sammi Smith.

His son, producer David Malloy, quotes wisdom from his father, saying, “The best producers are engineers first.”  "

Here is another link to that same video, on it's own video-player page sans text and other links -that, which unfortunately,  cannot be, embedded, nor autocued - So, if you are indeed interested in Jim Malloy, et al?....

Go to 1 hr 11 minutes 50 seconds - 1:11:50  - to catch the beginning of the interview with Jim and his son, David -

https://embed.vhx.tv/videos/877490

Here is  a 16 minute long "Johnny Cash Show" highlight reel called "JCShow Compilation" on Country Music Hall of Fame Vimeo channel  (which also cannot be embedded here)

https://vimeo.com/502370144