working with kids

TRCS

Hey guys

Pretty new to the production sound game and just looking for some tips or any experiences that  can prepare me for working with some kids this week. Only a one day shoot, but a decent amount of dialog to cover... planning on laving and booming if I can. Location is a diner, so I'm assuming dress should be fairly casual.

Anything specific I should be prepared for? How do kids take to being mic'd up?

Thanks!

+1 on inviting a parent over when wiring up a child. And do it on set in front of everybody if at all possible (it usually is). Treat them like you would want another adult to treat your kid. I have been very lucky with child actors, and many of them have shown more discipline than their adult counterparts.

+1 on wiring with a parent present and in public if possible. And I highly suggest NEOPAX for use with children. My experience has been less about them playing with the mics so much as doing acrobatics, gymnastics, wrestling or other highly physical activities that children tend to do without thinking about the fact that they're wearing very expensive equipment. The NEOPAX will ensure your transmitters don't wind up on the floor 50 times a day.

All great tips guys- these Neopax... if I could get my hands on them before this shoot, where would you recommend I have them wear them? Thigh? 

I like the slate idea Tom... should I bring the parents in before or after that part? Haha

All great tips guys- these Neopax... if I could get my hands on them before this shoot, where would you recommend I have them wear them? Thigh? 

If the kids are small (under 10), then I have found smaller Neopax -- even thigh lengths -- may fit them more comfortably than a normal adult-sized wrap. I always make sure the costume person and/or guardians are around, and I explain to the child what we're doing. I also make sure that they see me before they leave the set, so we can make sure we kill the wireless to give them a break. I've never had a problem with a kid damaging a lav; for some reason, that's more a problem with fashion models and actresses who want to get out of dodge and are impatient for me to get over to remove it. 

I use a double-thickness of the Neopax material on the pouch, just to give them one more layer to avoid letting the xmitter get too hot against their skin. I also tell them, "let me know if the mic is uncomfortable in any way, and we'll adjust it for you." Usually, that gets the job done. 

You should have offered snacks,  Jack! 

When wiring a girl, I would invite the mother over to observe the process and talk to the litte girl while you do your professional thing.  Can't hurt!!! 

cleve

And the studio teacher and wardrobe. But more important, boom them whenever possible. They will forget about the boom after take one. 

CrewC

I worked on a scripted series with kids actors last year and I agree to what everyone said (except Tom ;) ) They were generally reliable in cming to me before the went on the set to ask for their microphone (and sometimes were even disappointed when I said they didn't need one in that scene). There was one girl who didn't feel comfortable being wired by a man so I always let a wardrobe girl wire her. It's important for kids to feel safe and without pressure.