Lectro SRB camera link - Sony XDCAM

Hey guys!

I'm starting a shoot shortly with the XDCAM, wondering if I can get 2 channels of audio from the Lectro SRSNY adapter? Or rather, will the camera accept 2 channels? I heard from somewhere that the camera only accepts one input unless it's a Sony receiver. Of course the source of that information is now hazy, I can't find any information to neither confirm nor deny in the user manual, so I thought it best to ask here.

Kind regards,

Eren.

The camera will only accept one channel of audio thru the WIRELESS setting on the channel inputs.  In other words, thru the receiver direct into the camera...If you plug signals into the TWO XLR's on the back and set the switches to REAR, you will get what ever is plugged in back there.  THUS, if you have a SRa or b receiver, you need the 5P add on to be able to get two discreet signals into the XDCAM!

This, or the two-TA3 adaptor plate that you'd swap with your SRSNY plate ( you won't be able to slide the SR into the cam slot then). That's a little confusing though, since if you look at the pinouts diagram of the SRSNY in the manual or data sheet, there seems to be two channels. But I think the limitations are in the camera itself, not on the actual Lectro adaptor. I always heard (and read)  you can't have both channels so far.

But actually, I never tried it... since there's been quite a few deceptions and complaints about that since the SR has been released, maybe a few newer Sony cam models can feed these two channels internally now? I guess the best would be to check these camera manuals to confirm.

• 1 month later...

Cams like the PDW-700 only accept two channels internally with a Sony receiver.

Another possibility is to let the cam modify by an engineer specialized on this. I don't know any company in Australia who does this of course ... The main problem on this is that you lose the cam's warranty.

So, in that case, it's the old Sony brand philosophy that was later "advanced" by Apple ;D

One thing to note too is that the 5p Y cables often have much less shielding than most TA3 cables.  Since these cables are around a camera that probably emits a fair amount of RF gunk, you could see a marked decrease in available frequencies.  I have a SRB5P and the 5P is only really feasible for me as a "last resort" because I have noticed a difference while scanning. 

Id recommend getting the SRHardware sleeve along with the shoe mount for the SRB.  Looks like the XDCAMs have a top shoe bracket you could mount the SRB to and run TA3.  Likewise, the tried true method of spit, gum and strategic Velcro should work just fine.