Time code question...

FABER

I think Mysterium X refers to the sensor inside the Red Epic camera. To feed it timecode from your SBT, you would need a BNC to 4 pin Lemo connector. This is just off the the top of my head, please verify.

Right, but the 552 doesn't generate time code so i need to remain tethered to the SBT, so I guess my question is does the RED have internal time code I can sync with?

First set the SBT to free-run-time-of-day. You would then have to plug up the SBT to the RED, set the RED to external timecode and jam the timecode. Then plug the SBT to the 552. Be careful, RED timecode is known to drift. Rejam if the camera is ever turned off.

+1

Be wary of any Red power downs, frame rate changes, battery changes etc. Avoid using the camera as a master at all costs. I believe the Red One is a five pin lemo, while the other Red models are 4 pin. If I were you, I'd try to get my hands on a second sync box to sync to the first, which could live on the 552. That has worked for me in the past.

Also, do not power down the sync box throughout the day unless you can manually set the TC, which I believe you can with the SB-T.

Sorry my mistake- Looks like the Sync box will have to be the master time code as it will be the most stable. In that case use the sync box to feed the 552 and every time the Red powers down take the sync box and re-jam the camera- or  even better if possible get a 2nd sync box one for the camera and one for the 552

So I have a shoot tomorrow and I'll be using my trusty 552, they are using a Red Mysterium X. 

Is there any way to sync time code using just the Denecke SB-T? I've never worked with it before.

There is, but (as BAB14 points out) you still need a timecode source for the 552. Me personally, I think the 552 is good as a mixer and just "OK" as a backup sound recorder. I think either getting an additional timecode jam box or a full-fledged recorder is a better idea. I've never been happy with the sound quality on Red Ones, Epics, or Scarlets. They're very prone to overload, and I've seen cases where the camera operator either unplugs one of the sound channels or the levels get changed. To me, the camera audio track only works as a scratch track for editing -- but that's just my opinion.

Note that the SB-T is just a jam box, so it's not presettable. For that, you'd need something like a GR-1 or GR-2 master clock, but you could limp by without one. All this stuff is widely available for rental in LA. 

First set the SBT to free-run-time-of-day. You would then have to plug up the SBT to the RED, set the RED to external timecode and jam the timecode. Then plug the SBT to the 552. Be careful, RED timecode is known to drift. Rejam if the camera is ever turned off.

This is what I was hoping I could do! Thanks!