Celebrity Apprentice

berniebeaudry

Anyone know who the sound supervisor is for Celebrity Apprentice?  I was watching the show tonight and am truly impressed by how good the hidden lavs sound.  That in spite of some difficult wardrobe.  Even outdoors didn't hear any wind issues at all.  Would like to know what they're using and how they're micing them.

Thanks,

Bernie

Thanks Scott and Rob,

Didn't find anything of the Location Sound site.  I did find Ronnie's info on the RealityStaff site of which I am a member.  The site is ridiculous, I clicked on the contact him button and it never loads.  Many of the other functions don't load either, but the forum does.  Weird.  Could their server be that busy?

Bernie

Thanks Scott and Rob,

Didn't find anything of the Location Sound site.  I did find Ronnie's info on the RealityStaff site of which I am a member.  The site is ridiculous, I clicked on the contact him button and it never loads.  Many of the other functions don't load either, but the forum does.  Weird.  Could their server be that busy?

Bernie

Finally got a message sent through RealityStaff.  Will see if he has time to answer.

Bernie

We use the Mke-2 lav mics on The Apprentice. I actually sent you a email explaining some stuff in more detail so check that out. Thanks for the compliment Rob. Whoever told you I was demanding was on it. I only demand that the guys be professional and knowledgeable of their jobs. I am not a fan of "babysitting" guys who are making good money. I expect the best out of these guys and nothing less. I work my butt off to make things as easy as possible for them to do their jobs so they have a obligation to do it well. I figure if I can get 24 talent mics and 40 camera sends to work in Midtown Manhattan, they can do their part and make what goes to tape sound great. If that's demanding, then I'm demanding. I'll accept that role. We all should be demanding of our skills as professionals right.

R. Ali,

welcome to the forum. I have been Ron's co- worker and friend for some time now, and he speaks and works from the heart. 5 years ago when he was in charge of special projects at are former employer and building audio kits and custom designing control rooms, we knew it would be a matter of time he would be out there in the real world, putting his skills to use for the top network shows himself. you might say he is demanding, but you got to back it up to stay on top.

later,

We use the Mke-2 lav mics on The Apprentice. I actually sent you a email explaining some stuff in more detail so check that out. Thanks for the compliment Rob. Whoever told you I was demanding was on it. I only demand that the guys be professional and knowledgeable of their jobs. I am not a fan of "babysitting" guys who are making good money. I expect the best out of these guys and nothing less. I work my butt off to make things as easy as possible for them to do their jobs so they have a obligation to do it well. I figure if I can get 24 talent mics and 40 camera sends to work in Midtown Manhattan, they can do their part and make what goes to tape sound great. If that's demanding, then I'm demanding. I'll accept that role. We all should be demanding of our skills as professionals right.

Hello Ron,

I can only imagine how busy you must be so I'm extremely grateful that you took the time to reply to me here, and via email.  Welcome to the forum, but be careful its known to be addictive.  All the best to you and your outstanding crew, and have a great rest of the season.  I'll be watching and listening for sure.

Regards,

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...

R.Ali,

Hello. good to "see" you back, hope all is well.

when you go wireless to a camera (camera hop) do you go into the camera setting Mic or line level?

also,

do you ever use B6's when you are audio super.?

what is your favorite Mic (sounding) to use on these shows??

later,

Last season of "Apprentice" (or was it two seasons ago?) Ronnie did a challenge competition on a makeshift stage on the beach in Malibu I think it was. The wind was so fierce that The Donalds comb-over was threatening to take flight yet, the dialogue came thru clean and clear. He happened to come in the next day and I asked him if it had been dubbed later, because there was no way that they could have used the production audio that day. Of course it was. He's pretty darn good.

Last season of "Apprentice" (or was it two seasons ago?) Ronnie did a challenge competition on a makeshift stage on the beach in Malibu I think it was. The wind was so fierce that The Donalds comb-over was threatening to take flight yet, the dialogue came thru clean and clear. He happened to come in the next day and I asked him if it had been dubbed later, because there was no way that they could have used the production audio that day. Of course it was. He's pretty darn good.

Salesguy,

you said "of course it was" sorry, but did you mean, 1- it was dubbed later, 2- hell no they used ron's prod.tracks.

Scibella,

LSCSalesguy meant that we used the production audio on that episode. It was a beach task with Trina Turke. We actually were in consideration for an Emmy because of that episode. It was basically a situation where we needed to factor in how the wind was blowing, where they would be standing on stage, and where we needed to place the lavs to take advantage of the situation. It's all about planning and executing that strategy correctly. Especially when dealing with key players like a Trump or any other host.

Not a fan of the B6's. I've used them when I've mixed on others projects but I don't use them on shows that I supervise. I'm a Tram, MKE-2 gold, Sanken guy. Depends on what type of clothing will be used by the various people.

D.White,

Dealing with the egos kind of comes with the territory. I limit the types of egos that I will allow on my shows with respect to my immediate crew. I really don't cater to "high maintenance" mixers. We are ONE crew, with ONE mission, and that's the bottom line. If the guys aren't on board to be a part of a entire team then they won't last with our crew. It's a team effort much like in the military. No time for egos in the battle field. I'll draw up the plan, we all go execute it, we get paid and go home to the families. If you meant "talent" egos like Trump, there really isn't much you can do. I just mic him up fast and let him do his thing. I don't really cater to his madness either. That's the Producers job. I just built a trust with the guy that we are delivering good sound on his show. He hates doing VO's so if I need to adjust his mic and he doesn't want to be bothered I just put a bug in his ear that he may have to do VO's later. He'll let me do whatever I need to keep him from doing VO's.

R.Ali,

Thats what I thought,(prod. tracks)

I like what you tell the Donald, about possible VO's Later.

I can totally see you doing that- (ha.ha.)

b6's do sound a bit thin sometimes. sankens seem to be the best "over all sounding" lav, (to bad they don't have a true vamp clip)

oh ya, camera hops (mic or line?) what is your preference??

later,

salesguy,

it was not a intentional "gotcha" , I make them every other post, you can modify your posts (thankfully - for me) sometimes like in a email, when you type things out, they don't necessarily reflect what you were trying to say.  so when you are done with your post and you don't really like how"it came out" you can click the modify tab, and correct it.  (also, love the spell check,thanks JW)

later,

R.Ali,

Thats what I thought,(prod. tracks)

I like what you tell the Donald, about possible VO's Later.

I can totally see you doing that- (ha.ha.)

b6's do sound a bit thin sometimes. sankens seem to be the best "over all sounding" lav, (to bad they don't have a true vamp clip)

oh ya, camera hops (mic or line?) what is your preference??

later,

I'm sure I don't have enough experience with them but so far the Sankens haven't impressed me.  I own B6s, Sonotrims, and have used the MKE2s (probably not the Gold though) and to my ears the Sankens just aren't that much different or better.  What I don't like about them is that they are such a weird shape, and I wouldn't consider them all that small.  I saw some on a show that had them exposed on the top of tee shirts (a man and a woman) with the alligator clip and they looked ridiculous and sounded only average.  And I know the show doesn't do much post work on the sound. There is no perfect mic for under wardrobe and I understand that, but they didn't seem that easy to hide the few times I used them. 

What I'm frustrated with is the fact that they are great mics (I know they are because so many, with far more experience than me, on this and other forums swear by them) and I should like them. 

I don't get it.

Bernie

Bernie,

give sankens another try my man, double check that show, were they looked and sounded bad (there is no true alligator or vamp clip yet for cos-11's) senn makes a vamp clip that the cos-11 sort of fits in. try using the rm-11 w/mole skin or stickies.

you really should factor how the Mic's were placed, were they going in a FP-33, what recorder etc. on many shows, they are often rigged into a necktie in plain view, using 411's into a cooper 208.

try them again. (no I don't own any stock in them,just a fan)

The Sankens are a bit long but they can be hidden pretty easily with the right technique. I haven't really had any problems using/hiding them. Watch "The Best Damn Sports Show". They double mic the cast and guest with Sanken lavs. You can see how they expose the mics and make them look neat and professional. I never have the luxury of exposing mics so I don't really have the use for a vampire clip. I use the COS 11 somethings but for the most part I just use the actual lav. As for the sound, Frank is right. You have to consider what you are using with the lav to process the signal. I personally don't like the FP-33 because it has a high noise floor. Any omni-directional lav going through that mixer will sound suspect. Put a Sanken through a Lectrosonics wireless and a good mixer like the 442 or a Yamaha DM2000 and you'll see the difference. Especially when dealing with polyester shirts, dresses, or blouses.

Frank to answer your question, I prefer use camera sends with Mic level transmission. That is the most natural use of the wireless. Going Line Level requires specially made cables to handle the line level signal into the transmitter. At that point you have to still set the camera to mic level because those cables convert the line level to mic level anyway. The only time we really go line level on my shows is when we have to use the beta harness. The guys seem to prefer that setting in that situation. I don't have a preference because I know how to send mic level down the beta snake also. Some guys out in the field have trouble with that for some reason.

R.Ali,

Thanks for the mic/line clarification. I always prep and send out hops as a mic level signal. but for a minute there was a discussion here to send out line level.

as sterl and bobanza always told me, "machine to machine" - go line out to line in (mixer to camera)

and then "microphone to machine" - go mic out to mic in (lectro hops or shotgun mic to camera mic level in)

later,