SMDB auto start ?

VM

Hi, I'm working on a serie with two SMDB sending the audio to the camera.
To power them I use a battery eliminator (on a NP lithium battery).
When I change my batteries, or switch off the battery I have to turn the transmitters on. Is there an automatic starting mode for SMDB ? In the same way as the SRA do ?
I have reread the manual, and haven't found any line about it.

Thanks

I don't think those had it. I know the SMQV manual says:

The firmware “remembers” the power status when a battery fails, so the transmitter will be turned on automatically when the battery is replaced and the previous settings will be enabled.

The SMa definitely won't do this. I suspect this was a later featured added. In the case of the SMQV, it's not a menu item -- it just remembers the last setting it had when lost power, and once power is restored, it comes back the same way (on or off).

[snip]

In the case of the SMQV, it's not a menu item -- it just remembers the last setting it had when lost power, and once power is restored, it comes back the same way (on or off).

On page 8 of the manual, it explains how to configure "Power Restore" as enabled or not. It's one of our easy, three finger startup commands, the middle finger (What were they thinking!) being the most important.

Best,

Larry Fisher

Lectro

Thanks, Larry. The manual I read and reread is the SMDa manual (April 2010), nothing about it, BUT...
I have just download the SMV manual and it is written on page 8. 

Is a SMDa a SMV transmitter ?

Thanks, Larry. The manual I read and reread is the SMDa manual (April 2010), nothing about it, BUT...
I have just download the SMV manual and it is written on page 8. 

Is a SMDa a SMV transmitter ?

No. If it is variable power, it will have a v in its model number.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

On page 8 of the manual, it explains how to configure "Power Restore" as enabled or not. It's one of our easy, three finger startup commands, the middle finger (What were they thinking!) being the most important.

I'm working from the July 2009 manual and honestly don't see that on my page 8!  In fact the word "restore" is not in the document. Old manual?  [Either that or the fact that I've been awake for about 32 hours straight on a post job...]

Hi Mark,

I don't think the unit had power restore then so I'm calling "old manual". I'm at home and can't confirm with one of the engineers. The "manual" I looked at was on our website. I've gotten so used to pulling the manuals up on the screen, it's hard to remember there are paper versions.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

That's what I get for keeping 220 manuals on a thumbdrive! The risk of that is, they might be a year or two old. 

The funny thing for me is, the manuals that get used the most (by far) are the camera manuals -- for times when the camera department has zero clue of how to get a scratch track into their camera, or how to jam to external timecode. 

BTW, for those taking note, that job I worked on finally ended after only 37 hours, and I just woke up from 12 hours continuous sleep -- more like unconsciousness. I'm going to send the producer a copy of Haskell's "Who Needs Sleep" documentary...  

Best,

Larry Fisher

Lectro 

•  

I am sorry Larry, I have followed the manual's instructions : I switched on the unit while pressing the arrow. I read "rc on" or "rc off", but no way to  go to a "pb ac" menu.

I am working with SMDB.

So this option is only available with SMQV ?

I am sorry Larry, I have followed the manual's instructions : I switched on the unit while pressing the arrow. I read "rc on" or "rc off", but no way to  go to a "pb ac" menu.

I am working with SMDB.

So this option is only available with SMQV ?

1) Press and hold the Down Arrow Button then

power on the transmitter by pressing the

Audio and Freq buttons simultaneously.

2) Press AUDIO or FREQ key to scroll to the setting

and then use the arrow keys to select PbAc 1 for

ON or PbAc 0 for OFF.

Best,Larry F

Lectro

That's exactly what I tried to do. Another sound mixer tried it with me. At the second point I have only the choice between rc on and rc off. No way to arrive to the "PbAc 0 or PbAc 1" screen.

My transmitters are coming from the renthouse "Tapages".

I thought I'd jump in here.  I'm the author of the firmware for the SMDB and many other Lectrosonics products.  A quick look at the archives makes it appear that every production SMDB has the "pBAc" feature.  I'd like to try to determine what firmware is running in your unit.  Could you please tell me the version number reported during the power-up sequence?  The screen in question looks roughly like this: b21r4.3 ("block 21, revision 4.3").  Also, does your unit have a backlight on the LCD, and does it report the RF output power during the power-up sequence (e.g. "Pr  50" for 50 milliwatts)?

Once I know what firmware you're running, I can help figure out whether an upgrade, a repair, or simply a different procedure is needed to do what you want.

Fanatically Yours,

David Thomas

I thought I'd jump in here

Thanks, I'll tell you the firmware version on Monday (I am not on the set today). As we try on 3 SMDB, I think it should be a firmware issue.

There is no backlight on the LCD.

I went this morning to the rental house...They told me that all the transmitters are not yet updated.
Here we are ! I 'll wait the update.

Thanks everybody for your usefull help, I will use this fonction on next shooting as soon as they will be updated.