Roland R88

Maxie Mendonca

• 2 weeks later...

Not got my hands on 1 (or even seen a fully working unit (at BVE)) but I spent some time going through the instruction manual, on paper the stand-outs are (in my order of importance):

~ Mono or stereo files only (no poly wavs). 

~ LCF and channel limiters are all behind the ADCs.

~ You can record and USB interface simultaneously.

~ No dedicated return from camera so you'd need to use an input or a monitor switching box.

~ You can copy files to a USB stick (but not record to both simultaneously).

~ Can select channels/tracks for the slate mic (but no talking to the boom op during the take as it will get recorded).

~ Limited metadata entry.

~ Spectrum analyser on PFLs is novel (maybe 1 day we'll get a machine with wave form meters :-).

~ Instruction manual uses the words 'channel/s' and 'track/s' interchangeably.

One dealer I spoke to said it sounded "good" (as in, "for the money", I guess).

No reports yet about TC accuracy or RF spill. I've been looking around for Roland's previous on these with the R-4PRO but not found much (I know there are/were some R4PRO users here).

I think no poly files could be a deal-breaker for serious use in the UK market, as editors don't like multi-track files that aren't polys.

If anyone has used the R-88 don't be shy share your experience. 

All the best,

Dan

Poly files isn't really a deal breaker is it? If all the metadata matches it's literally a button press away in wave agent. Even though I enter all the metadata as correct as possible, I always put the files into wave agent to double check. And making poly files out of mono or stereo files is super easy

Poly files isn't really a deal breaker is it? If all the metadata matches it's literally a button press away in wave agent. Even though I enter all the metadata as correct as possible, I always put the files into wave agent to double check. And making poly files out of mono or stereo files is super easy

It doesn't make sense that the R-88 doesn't create poly files. The 4 channel Roland/Edirol machines like the R-4 Pro does.

No it doesn't make sense, but it's a cheap 8 track recorder. If that is one little catch then I can live with that, there might be an upgrade to solve the problem. In any case there's Wave Agent with a nice elegant solution. IIRC, you can't really enter metadata into the R4 either so Wave Agent is still necessary..

No it doesn't make sense, but it's a cheap 8 track recorder. If that is one little catch then I can live with that, there might be an upgrade to solve the problem. In any case there's Wave Agent with a nice elegant solution. IIRC, you can't really enter metadata into the R4 either so Wave Agent is still necessary..

You are absolutely right, in the R4-Pro you can name takes but nothing else. The R-88 does still seem like a decent backup, I would just hope that the pre's a cleaner than the R4. 

Ramallo (or anyone), any idea what the RF spill is like on this recorder?

Olle,  i concede - if you've got the time to enter metadata at the end of the shoot with wave agent then converting from stereo to poly is no big thing. But for me, realistically, if you're considering a recorder in this price range then the chances are the types of shoots you are doing, run over (by several hours), don't pay for an experienced boom op or assistant, probably want you to work out of a bag, wont pay for your own vehicle etc etc. In such situations i try to keep my footprint small (no laptop unless absolutely necessary) and my time on location to a minimum. If that means handing someone an SD card with rudimentary metadata (at the end of a 15 hour day with a call in 9) then so be it, but no polys is a problem who ever you work for.

Fantastically i'm considering this machine as a stop gap while i wait (and save) for the x3 :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a R88 and a SD 664 But I am currently using R88 and I liked it 

Its sounds good only I could not play back iso tracks.                                                                                                               Timecode,Batteries and mono files are some issues but overall a good recorder

Thanks maxie. Interesting you're using r88 not 664. Is that for track count or some other issue? Any observations re RF 'spill' effecting wireless mics etc? Did you buy from an official Roland dealer with 'associated' customer support or cheapest deal type of thing? (I ask because the I found RSG in the UK to be barely interested in supporting the product). Is there a user forum and/or any news about firmware updates for TC or polyfiles? All the best (and congrats on your 2 new recorders), Dan.

My 664 arrived a bit late (after a wait of 3 months) and then it required an adopter or NP batteries because AA batteries dont last even for an hour. I needed a 32gb CF card a bigger bag etc hence I prefered R88 which was almost ready from the word go. I just got a SD card which is quite cheap and checked it I liked it .I might use 664 for my next project or rent it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I acquired R-88 about a month ago. Used to use R-4 before. So far I'm loving the machine.

~ Mono or stereo files only (no poly wavs) - Somehow this is true, they do not produce poly 8 tracks anymore. R-4 used to make Mono, Stereo and Poly, this one doesn't. Though I prefer Mono personally, and I've never heard editors complaining about monophonic files before, Just lock it to the video and there is no need to struggle.

~ LCF and channel limiters are all behind the ADCs - I guess I can just say that is perhaps cuased by the 3K price. But I like the fact that you can tweak Attack and Threshold on Limiter, also they are independent for each track and Master section. I use Sound Devices MM-1 for a pre, so I use Pre fade LCF on MM-1. This way it becomes Prefade 8)

~ You can record and USB interface simultaneously - IMHO this is a very big plus to this machine. There isn't many recorders that can record and be a interface at the same time.

~ No dedicated return from camera so you'd need to use an input or a monitor switching box - True.

~ You can copy files to a USB stick (but not record to both simultaneously) - Not yet, but I think it's perhaps a matter of a Firmware Update. Plus compare to R-4 it's way faster transfer speed as well as you can actually plugin USB device directly into the USB plug onboard.

~ Can select channels/tracks for the slate mic (but no talking to the boom op during the take as it will get recorded)  - True, but at the same time only will be true in a 8+ tracking, otherwise you could send Slate mic to a separate channel, and talk to Boom VIA separate XLR 1-8 output. Only issue it would go in to a Recording as well, unless you'll just talk between takes and etc.

~ Limited metadata entry - True

~ Spectrum analyser on PFLs is novel (maybe 1 day we'll get a machine with wave form meters :-) -  I like spectrum analyzer, but I'd rather prefer a level meter instead to see Direct inputs.

~ Instruction manual uses the words 'channel/s' and 'track/s' interchangeably.

One dealer I spoke to said it sounded "good" (as in, "for the money", I guess) - Definitely a good buy. I used Roland/ Edirol, Fostex and Sound Devices in the past. Like them all for particular reasons. But I like Roland products.

No reports yet about TC accuracy or RF spill - So far I didn't have any issues with TC while recorder is constantly on. No drifting detected. Though I must say I have to go menue for TC everytime after the powering off/ on. It looses RTC (Real TC) after that and adds few wierd hours to actual time. Couldn't figure out from where exactly yet. I'd recommend to get a separate mini TC Generator and just use it on TC I/P to make sure that you don't have to worry about to this menu every time. Otherwise if you keep machine on it doesn't drift so far. Use it with the Deneke Slate and a Gen Box on Red camera. Didn't have any problems. I hope that firmware update will remove that TC loss issue. Hopefully. Roland please look after this issue.

I think no poly files could be a deal-breaker for serious use in the UK market, as editors don't like multi-track files that aren't polys.

If anyone has used the R-88 don't be shy share your experience - This sounds honesty slightly strange to me personally. What's the problem with the UK editors and a monophonic editing???

Kirill.

Kirill,

Thanks for all the nicely described info on your R88.

Did you buy yours through RSG / official dealer or go for an online supplier? I've not been impressed thus far with RSG and don't see much reason to pay the extra over the other options (maybe i'm kvetching). 

What external TC box are you using?

I'm going to canvass a few more opinions on the polyfile thing but so far in the UK editors tell me they don't want mono files as it gives them more to keep track of during ingestion etc and whilst there is wave agent from SD to help out, for me a I want a end of day media hand-over that doesn't involve me faffing with a laptop. eg pull card, hand-over, go home.

regards,

Daniel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Wanted to let you know that a V1.10 update is coming for the Roland R-88 Recorder/Mixer around mid-June.

Update includes:

• selectable input delay per channel from 0.05 – 20ms
  • support for polyphonic WAV files (selectable by 2,4,6,8 channels)
  • expanded low-cut filters where you can now set cut-off frequency per channel in the range of 60-250Hz
  • support for external MIDI devices when using the UM-ONE mk2, which will allow the ability to control the R-88 from a MIDI fader unit for example
  • sensitivity gain and headphone output boost functions
  • expanded footswitch parameter (for when you accidentally plug your headphones into the footswitch port it doesn't stop the recording ;-).

These new features are added as a direct result of initial feedback from users (and potential users) worldwide - including you all - so thanks for the comments.

It is not always possible to address every concern but know that we are listening.

As soon as the update is available, it will be in the Download Tab area of this page:

www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/r88

Best regards,

John Broadhead

Roland Systems Group