Roland R88

Maxie Mendonca

• 2 weeks later...

"Did you buy yours through RSG / official dealer or go for an online supplier? I've not been impressed thus far with RSG and don't see much reason to pay the extra over the other options (maybe i'm kvetching). - I've bought this machine from Long and McQuade in Toronto, due to there availability of financing gear without any credit cards involved. They are technically official dealers in Toronto, or one of the few I guess. bought it for 2800CAD roughly.

"What external TC box are you using?" - I'm Using Deneke SB-3? But as I've noticed when I use RTC (real time code) after I select it it runs perfectly precise, but make sure if you turn the machine off and back on, to select any other TC generation mode (Freerun, LTC, EXT, etc), and then back to RTC, well this is my case, because I don't own EXT TC Geny, so this fixes the wierd TC additional numbers in a second, I have a feeling it might be a bug in software, and I'm sure it'll be fixed after next or next next firmware update.

Just make sure to rejam camera and slate after this as well.

I've being talking to the guys directly about many different suggestions, including Polywaves and many many man y other things and ideas. 

Hi everyone,

Wanted to let you know that a V1.10 update is coming for the Roland R-88 Recorder/Mixer around mid-June.

As soon as the update is available, it will be in the Download Tab area of this page:

www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/r88

Best regards,

John Broadhead

Roland Systems Group

Hi John, I've seen Roland being talking about this Firmaware update be available by mid June, it's about a week after mid June, how soon is it coming already???

Thanks.

"What external TC box are you using?" - I'm Using Deneke SB-3? But as I've noticed when I use RTC (real time code) after I select it it runs perfectly precise, but make sure if you turn the machine off and back on, to select any other TC generation mode (Freerun, LTC, EXT, etc), and then back to RTC, well this is my case, because I don't own EXT TC Geny, so this fixes the wierd TC additional numbers in a second, I have a feeling it might be a bug in software, and I'm sure it'll be fixed after next or next next firmware update.

Just make sure to rejam camera and slate after this as well.

That's because the "RTC" syncs to the recorder's internal clock everytime you switch the machine on again. This clock is not very precise. I have noticed similar behaviour on my SD788T, although it may be less pronounced there. The way around this would be to not use RTC, but use free-run instead

That's because the "RTC" syncs to the recorder's internal clock everytime you switch the machine on again. This clock is not very precise. I have noticed similar behaviour on my SD788T, although it may be less pronounced there. The way around this would be to not use RTC, but use free-run instead

I understand what it syncs to Constantin. That's not exactly what I was talking about. Also free-run doesn't make any difference, because you still have to resync in case if it screws up 8) Best way I think is to have outboard generator like "TC Buddy" and then run it into "TC In" of the R88 and then use other generators on "TC Out" this way it'll be much more precise. But so far no one complained in post about my TC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally gotten the Firmware update! Lot's of useful things added.

Few of the main things are:

1) RTC TC doen't stop generating anymore after power off!!! Haven't had a chance to test the drifting of the TC after power off yet compare to TC Slate and Camera TC. Will see soon.

2) Polyphonic B-WAV is now there! Negative thing about it though now, when you record Poly machine doesn't record a L+R Mix into a separate file in the separate folder as when recorded in Mono or Stereo mode. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update!!!

3) Finally added settings for the Headphone O/p levels, i.e. 0dBFS and +12dBFS. Not sure still the point in a sense that what is the major point of using different outputs as they've said "to monitor quite sources". Don't know how truthful the signal flow will become with the +12dBFS boost.

4) Added +6dB Boost to the Input. IMHO quite useful function to get some extra kick on Dynamic or Low Level inputs or sounds in general.

5) HPF was extanded from 60Hz - 250Hz, so much more flezible now. Not sure but perhaps would be useful to make it even more flexible in a sense of increments of Hz to 3Hz/click than 10Hz increments. Otherwise great.

6) Input delay compensation was also added to all channels independantly 0-20ms. Definitely useful function, and not present on many other machines.

7) Added support of MIDI controllers which I'm yet to find good fitting one as well as portable and well supported by the machine. So can't say much about that for now.

Will post more staff, when test new things. There is few other things but they aren't extremely important.

• 1 month later...

R-88 sounds very good to me, but I can only speak out of experience comparing it to the rack mounted studio preamps I know. It sounds very clean, noiseless and good. I have no idea how it compares to the mentioned Tascam or other similar but bigger calibre machines like Sound devices 788, Zaxcom Maxx...  And would also be interested to hear some of such comparisons.

We used it coupled with C500 and Arri Alexa and it synced well to both... the pain is only loss of timecode when powered down... and re-syncing again everytime. But most audio was synced with Pluraleyes anyway...

Thanks for your reply. So i should fee confident to use it for Cinema Projects. As for timecode issues why dont you external jam sync the R88 be it hard wired to camera or thru Timecode Buddy system

Any recommendation for :

1. Shot Gun mic

2. Wireless and wired headphone option. I particularly would like roland's output (as it offers) of the Boom Man back to his headphone (so that he knows whats he is upto) along with the mixer recordist.

3. Type of SD card Ultra or Extreme Pro etc etc (Sandisk) to be used on R88

More experienced guys should answer those questions. I can only comment on my subjective experience of its sound. :) We use Platinum SDHC 32GB CLASS10 card and it works.

Hi, and welcome...

" So i should fee confident to use it for Cinema Projects. "

I'm confused: are you doing projects, or are you a rental business ?

either way, you need to do a lot of learning, and some searching and reading here on jwsoundgroup.net would be beneficial.

you seem to still be at the point of not even knowing what it is you don't know yet.

A rental business does not decide on the suitability of what it has available, it makes available what the clients want to rent.

Hi, and welcome

" So i should fee confident to use it for Cinema Projects. "

I'm confused...

are you going to be using equipment on projects, or are you a rental business ?

either way, you need to do a lot of learning, and some searching and reading here on jwsoundgroup.net would be beneficial.

A rental business does not decide on the suitability of what it stocks, it makes available what the clients want to rent.

you seem to still be at the point of not even knowing what it is you don't know yet.

In the professional world, I do not believe Roland R88's are typical "Cinema Projects" kit being rented out.

Edited by studiomprd

" I will buy & put on rent only what my budget can allow me. "

of course...

but...

you should buy for rental equipment that your clients want to rent.  this is typically better equipment than they can afford to own themselves, thus among the numerous considerations you need to figure it might be harder to make money renting low end equipment, and for several reasons...

I find it low end for pro jobs (and yes, I have used an R4PRo in the past, which is clearly in the development history of this machine) because:

1)Workflow required by this machine to mesh with what studios/networks/pros houses want is compromises and workarounds.

pro gear can let you hand over a media storage unit and walk away at wrap.

2)It has a plastic case and controls.  the pro competitors have metal casing.

3)timecode stability is not yet proven.  until it is (and eventually it may be) it will be percieved as low end

4)Battery life.  You must use an external BDS to get decent run times out of this.  Not a deal killer, as most pro setups do this anyway, even with good internal power run times.

kudos to Roland for using one of the standard external power plugs (again)

5) There are no reviews yet praising the sound of the pre-amps.  you will find many such reviews of the two higher end competitors (SD and Zax).  If such reviews emerge, provided by trusted reviewers, the industry perception of this recorder will improve.

6) the lack of ability to use slate mike as talkback when rolling is a problem for this as a standalone recorder/mixer.

HOWEVER

its low end pro gear, not high end consumer gear.  It's far above zoom and fostex's current offerings.. I have not compared this to Tascam's top of the line (HS82).. It certainly has  much better functionally than the Tascam 680.

If you are in a smaller market, or the internal AV dept of a company, this may get done what you need.  But I think you'll only be happy with it if you are controlling the entire audio post chain.

Perhaps time will reveal this to be a bargain in location recording.

Since you're asking about this for your renting business, build quality should be a primary concern. You don't want customers coming back to you, complaining about a failing or faulty device. Also, the plastic can be a concern, too, as the colour chips off easier, making the unit look heavily used and this can deter customers.

In the end, the Senator is right, you should buy the device which your customers want. Or just try it out

Actually timecode issues can be well taken care of by Time Code Buddy system or even using a hard wired line from the camera.

That's fine for you, if it works for your personal projects.  For renters, that means you'll need to include that equipment in your rental package for this piece of gear.  Gear with built in working TC is already cheap to rent.  Your ROI will be low on this piece of gear, as the plastic casing and other parts will wear faster than metal.

As for the Plastic components/unit parts that can be usually be over looked.

Again, this may be the case for you as owner operator.  However, when, not if, these parts are worn or damaged, then you will not be able to get rentals anymore on this tool.

Media can yes ofcource after the day's time The SDHC card used for recording cam easily exchange hands with the client. So far no issues at all.

While the card can be exchanged, the metadata should already be on it that matches whatever editorial has said they want.  If I can't label scene take timecode and track information on the metadata on a recorder, there are many projects where I can not use it.

Yes, in theory I can generate a full paper sound report, but those are less and less desired by professional shoots.  And if I have to do logging and data editing at the end of my day, I am likely to not be paid for that time.

I would be worried if this doesn't perform well as a Good Quality Sound Recorder.

IT DOESN'T PERFORM IN THE RIGHT WAYS FOR RENTAL GEAR ON STUDIO/NETWORK PRODUCTIONS.

What are the issues with recording quality is what am asking for cosmetics aren't on my radar.

Any one has or can give more experienced idea where it lags technically.

OK.. since you went there... the Pre-Amps have more noise than those in the two main competitors in this market.. Zaxcom and Sound Devices.  Also, both of those have better limiters than Roland's portable recorders.