Roland R88

Maxie Mendonca

kirill: " Done close to 8 features with it with 0% ADR, and multiple other works. Great machine. "

so you are saying it is because of the R-88 that there was no ADR in close to 8 "features" ??

(what is a "close to feature" ?)

has anyone ever seen and heard these "features" ??

what sort of budgets did these "features" have ??

(not that budget has as much to do with the machine's not needing ADR, as the money to actually do needed or desired ADR might not be available...  note the ADR credits on big budget movies.

IOW, what recorder was used has, IMO, about zero to do with how much ADR is, or is not done for a movie.

I see there is an additional page to this thread, and Constantin has already noted the same point I'm making...

Edited by studiomprd

• 1 month later...

Studioprd how about your bashing or look down upon is well support by your own documented video review. If not then let other """""professionals and really real professionals""""" enjoy using the RolandR88. For your bread n butter you must be bragging on your setup being expensive than others (make belief of bragging that your work is better in end). Your hate posts against R88 are useless unless you have some solid logical explanation or experience with it to share. Till then do what you are best at except for your as usual mundane pointless boring uninteresting useless hate posts on topics For R88, Now I know there will be a volley from your end... play it hard old timer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On October 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM, studiomprd said:

Not to seem to be rude, but I'm really annoyed by comments like that.

Q: so you are saying it is because of the R-88 that there was no ADR in close to 8 "features" ??

A: No obviously not because or recorder god damn it. Why asking such childish questions to obvious? Man seriously, if this thread would be about Zaxcom Nomad or Sound Devices, there would be non of this questions and comments. Reason is because I always try to record everything from first try, and if I fail I record wild lines right there if I have to. 

Q: (what is a "close to feature" ?) Really you gonna stuck to this words now? If you want to know which features please visit my IMDB

Q: has anyone ever seen and heard these "features"??

A:Just because feature isn't particularly huge globally, doesn't make it worse than a multi-million one. Really hate when people define film by the amount of money spent.

Q: what sort of budgets did these "features" have ??

A:Different, perhaps not as big as yours. 250k - to maximum about 1.5m$ Sorry I'm non union for now, because of people who loves to gossip about what people do and done, and how sh*tty the projects the person has worked according to the gossiping people. I hate gossips and behind the back chatters.

(not that budget has as much to do with the machine's not needing ADR, as the money to actually do needed or desired ADR might not be available...  note the ADR credits on big budget movies. 

Believe me I know about price of ADR and reasons behind it as well. Don't you worry.

On October 27, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Chris Woodcock said:

Q: And??

A: And the machine performed well, no TC dropouts, no glitches, well recorded dialogues are present in the movies.

47 minutes ago, AudioMTL said:

Q: Does anyone know what format to make a USB drive to copy data off the SD card onto USB via the R88? What menu steps are needed to do so? I have not had any luck with this yet. 

A: Usually I'd just give an SD card to DMT in the midday or in the end of the shoot. But you can plug in the USB key directly in to the machine. Sadly this part I think wasn't well thought out by the makers. And thus it might take a little while to copy info from SD to USB. If you'd like I can post a comment with images attached to it. Let me know.

As for the USB format, I've tried just for this to use a Windows formatted card MS-DOS (FAT32) USB Key. And it read and worked perfectly with the machine. The file was 660MB and took about 1-2 minutes to copy to a USB key. Also do you mean copy as a backup copy or a mirroring copy (I don't think R-88 has that option)

• 3 weeks later...
On February3, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Kirill Belousov said:

A: Usually I'd just give an SD card to DMT in the midday or in the end of the shoot. But you can plug in the USB key directly in to the machine. Sadly this part I think wasn't well thought out by the makers. And thus it might take a little while to copy info from SD to USB. If you'd like I can post a comment with images attached to it. Let me know.

As for the USB format, I've tried just for this to use a Windows formatted card MS-DOS (FAT32) USB Key. And it read and worked perfectly with the machine. The file was 660MB and took about 1-2 minutes to copy to a USB key. Also do you mean copy as a backup copy or a mirroring copy (I don't think R-88 has that option)

Thanks Kirill! Sure I that would be great. I am interested to see the workflow for copying to USB from the machine. 

• 1 year later...

Update regarding this machine. I used it for a bit over a year before picking up a Deva. I couldn't be happier since moving away from the r-88

While the R-88 pales in comparison to the Deva in all shapes and forms, the r-88 was a good interim machine for the price however it did fail on me in a few ways.

The lack of metadata for one created many problems down the chain for post. Conforming sound is not an option and editors are forced to cut with multiple ISOs and this is not often accepted .

The machine has frozen and needed to be reboot once during a take and a few times while not rolling. These happened in "extreme" cold only after shooting outdoors in sun -20 Celsius for not more than 2 hours. The display is also terribly unresponsive in cold .

The most significant failure is the push button for monitor control. The push button stopped responding and has not come back. Have tried flashing firmware, cleaning out the mechanism itself with no luck. Sadly this is the only way to access pre fader listen (solo isos) and to change the LR / L+R monitoring split. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'd love a work around. When rebooting the machine it does not remember the left right ear split and defaults to mix L one ear and mix R other. So this makes listening for problems in specific channels a pain in the rear. I called Roland and the proposed solution is to send back to them which logistically they don't make easy and since I only use it as a rental to friends and for a quick already in bag rig. I have not yet bothered. I'll probably buy a nomad before I bother with sending this back to Roland. On that note I've spoken with numerous Roland systems group department heads claiming to be interested in my feedback and feature requests / improvements. But after about 2 years of no progress and seemingly dead threads online I have little faith this unit is going to see any improvement. 

Thanks, what you say is interesting. I was quite tempted at 1 point with r88 but the deal breaker for me was the attitude of the UK representatives. They seemed to know nothing about the device and care even less to find out. I knew Roland had/have bigger fish to fry than support in anyway a prosumer devices so I stayed away. Not sure what the resell on your r88 will be now zoom have F4/8 in the market but I wouldn't put much effort in keeping the thing a viable work machine. Sell or lend to friend, right off the loss and be thankful it got you to the next stage of your career.